Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
If you have chips on a white iPhone, that only speaks against a defect in anodization because the aluminum backs on white iPhones are NOT anodized. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show...there are lots of people here who would rather jump on a bandwagon to blame Apple for something that they know little to nothing about. Mob mentality entitlement at its best (or worst).

Unfortunately for your point of view, the white ones are indeed anodized- easily provable with a multitester.

----------

6061 is the least expensive of the heat treatable aluminum.

No, 5086 is cheaper.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
6061 is the least expensive of the heat treatable aluminum.

Right, and it's also what they use on Yachts, High End Bike Frames, and the plaques for the Pioneer Spacecraft (I wonder if the aliens that find it will complain of scuffing...).

Your point?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
*tosses his black iPhone 5 on its back across a stone table without any care in the world*

I love having a case (Incase Slider). I don't have to worry about any of this bullsheeit.

ALL phones wear down cosmetically. iPhone users tend to be more upset by this, since the phones looks so "pretty" in the first place. But I'm sure all the other phones on the market also scuff and scratch with time as well.

*taps the edge of his phone on the side of the table to the beat of a good song playing*

Ahh yeah, turn it up...

Just get a case if it's such a big deal for you. And the plus side is you can change the look of your phone once in a while to keep it fresh.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Nowhere did Apple state the phone was flawless, that aluminum would never scratch, that it would never have a speck of dust under the screen or a bad pixel... Even though all electronics do (even the precious 4S).
Yes and no. Just the advertisng pictures are a warrant the casing is not scratched out of the box.

I think one has to parse the fragility and likelihood of scratches, which is a buying downtic, and an ironic one considering Apple self vaunted build quality narrative; vs the issue of scratches out of the box.

Lets say you were looking at ip5 vs s3. I was so here is what some of my charting was

1. worldphone on vZ or sprint: objective ip5 win
  2. industrial design: subjective iphone 5 win
  3. build quality rep: subject iPhone 5 win
  4. resale value at one year: near certain iphone 5 win
  5. integration with apple ecosystem: win for people on that ecosysterm
  6. swipe: object s3 win
  7. scalable ind inexpensive memory: s3 objective win
  8. readability for a person over 50: slight s3 win
  9. ubiquity and inexpensive charging options: s3 win
  10. mkv playback: s3 win
  11. mapping: s3 win

Now those dont have to be your list, but I would say it probably is mostly representative of a number of people's lists

there is no quesiton that apple emphasizes its industrial design. there is no quesiton that it advertises the look and brand quality of its products as part of the value (its own advertising people have said this is akey emphasis). there is no question that the way the 2 year upgrade subsidies work that for a certain portion of users relative expected resale value at one year is important differentiation from say samsung.

Those values are lessened. That isnt an attack. It is just an objective statement that certain values, that some portion of buyers expect, and expect because apple emphasizes them, are lowered by the scratch susceptibility of the casing.
I bought four expecting to immediately resell two, and did. And the issues with the case didnt tip over two in our family who preferred the iphone. But to say it isnt a rational issue that goes to value is wrong. It is an issue.

ALL phones wear down cosmetically. iPhone users tend to be more upset by this, since the phones looks so "pretty" in the first place.
again I would say the same thing. Apple advertises its relative build quality and leadership in industrial design. You pay a premium for it and it part of their intentional branding. So, respectfully customers think it is so pretty, because it is intentionally marketed as such. That that specifically touted feature is less important to you is fine, but dont say it is meaningless..

Last edited:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Rather than make accusations based on assumptions & guesswork, the average Apple worshiper would do well to get into acceptance. Apple is not perfect, yet in your minds you have them on a pedestal. Denial is a very powerful way to look right past anything that fails to live up to reasonable standards.

Much like the very well known, ever present Apple Hyposcrisy, I do understand why some choose to implement this way of thinking. At the end of the day it's the worshipers that have to baby the phone anyway.

*Yawn*

Still at it I see :D

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
That's a shame cause mine is still perfect and I've thrown it around knowing I could get it replaced if needed. It's held up so well I canceled my skins and screen protector orders.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
Picture showing wear at bottom of phone

Here's a picture of the wear at the bottom of mine. Production week 36. Normal use, in and out of front pocket (only iPhone, no keys, etc.)

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 324

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
That's a shame cause mine is still perfect and I've thrown it around knowing I could get it replaced if needed. It's held up so well I canceled my skins and screen protector orders.

impressive. how obsessed are you regarding keeping your device pristine with skins and screen protectors? i ask because i'm very obsessed and i ordered several products.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Either there were marks directly from the box or they have been created by you, by non-careful use of the device.
I got my first iPhone 5 with similar marks. Got a new inside and has had it with keys, dropped it on the floor at home, etc.. No marks.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
The issue is that the anodised coating shows even the slightest of nicks, if i look very carefully at my iPhone 4 i can see tiny little blemishes along the steel band edge, but due to it not being coated, they are pretty much invisible, I wish they had left the metal uncoated. like on all other apple products, It would match and minor marks would be less visible.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Right, and it's also what they use on Yachts, High End Bike Frames, and the plaques for the Pioneer Spacecraft (I wonder if the aliens that find it will complain of scuffing...).

Your point?

Bike frames are made out of 6061-T6, a whole different animal than non-T6, which is what is used on the phone. The T6, heat treated and aged, has more than double the tinsel strength and in turn a much higher hardness.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
You'll have to zoom in, couldn't get good macro shots with the iPad.

Don't confuse scuffs for sweat/fingerprint marks.

Scuffs on that table too, maybe you're just a bit rough with your stuff?? :eek:

----------

Here's a picture of the wear at the bottom of mine. Production week 36. Normal use, in and out of front pocket (only iPhone, no keys, etc.)

Man this stinks. I really want an i5 when i'm eligible next month but that's friggin rediculous. What were they thinking?

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
In the promo Video, all Johnny Ives had to do was say, we designed the new iPhone with extreme attention to detail. The manufacturing process that we're using now has never been achieved before. In fact, we designed the chamfered edge to wear much like a fine watch, a beautiful antique, an old brass camera, or a well worn pair of jeans, so that as you make your iPhone your own, going on adventures together, it develops a beautiful patina, attesting to the incredible durability and longevity of this product. Yes, we even took into account how the iPhone 5 looks as it ages. :)

Personally I don't care much about the scuff issue, but I understand that some would be upset to either receive a badly scratched/dinged phone out of the box, or perhaps a bad batch of anodizing. I always use a case. But Apple does market the aesthetics and beauty of the phone. You can't go on and on about super high power cameras that photograph hundreds of glass and aluminum edges to assure a perfect fit, and then ship what must be thousands if not tens of thousands of cosmetically challenged new phones. Can't have it both ways.

This being said, anybody who is upset or returns their otherwise perfect phone because there is a miniscule, pinprick mark on the black coating, is probably being a little ridiculous. Mine had a tiny, tiny mark below the antenna gap on the side, honestly I'm pretty anal and it just didn't bother me at all. I get much more bothered by functional issues. And so far other than a Wi-Fi issue that I appear to have solved, the phone is awfully good.

You know, I'm sure a lot of people returned a perfectly good phone because of a truly tiny mark in the black coating, only to receive a replacement that had actual issues that affected function. Not a good trade in my opinion. Often times you need to pick the lesser of two evils, and recognize that nothing man-made is ever really, truly perfect.

Last edited:

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Either there were marks directly from the box or they have been created by you, by non-careful use of the device.
I got my first iPhone 5 with similar marks. Got a new inside and has had it with keys, dropped it on the floor at home, etc.. No marks.

No

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
What were they thinking?

They were thinking, how can we make the most amount of money on the iphone 5? We will use lower grade aluminum, use the cheapest possible anodizing process, fire most of the QC inspectors and if we get any heat use the usual statement, " This is the first we have heard of it".

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I got my i5 on launch day. It has never had a cover and besides being on a desk/table it's in my pant pocket. I use it daily and I have zero scratches or damage to the casing.

Just in two cents. Note that I make sure to only have my i5 in my pocket and nothing else (coins, keys,etc).

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

Anybody seeing similar issues?

Pics added in page 2

Your Holding it wrong per Steve...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The horror!

I scratched my 4s on the back the first day I got it. It works great and I don't live a life of vanity through my possessions.

The more you care about the things you own, the more they own you.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Do I detect someone's nose getting longer?:p

----------

If I'm in the building at work or I'm at home, I take the case off. If I'm walking around outside, shopping, etc., I leave the case on.

So you dress your iPhone for the "occasion"?:eek:

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Just like intercourse with a pretty lady..

sure it might feel better without it.. but I rather put protection on.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I got mine the day after launch day (white), and have not noticed the issues in normal use. It could probably pass for brand new if it were reboxed. If it's getting scratched up from normal holding (i.e. you aren't dropping it or hitting the edge against a hard surface such as a table), maybe take it in to see if you have a defective anodization. At least get the issue logged now so that when supplies stabilize perhaps you'll have a better chance of getting it addressed.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I think we'd all be a bit happier if we just enjoyed the device instead of worrying about it's resale value. If you are going to worry about that so much juts get a case and leave it in for a year. Besides that if the phone is completely open to the elements it's going to get dinged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.