Neat-o sound device

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Haberdasher, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Take a look at this article...it's about a sound device that can project across incredible distances, with good clarity, and without anyone in between hearing, since it creates the sound vibrations at the ear rather than at the actual projector. I probably didn't describe it well, but it's still really cool!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/magazine/23SOUND.html?pagewanted=2

The guy who invented this also invented the Sonogram, an extended tape (20 hours of recording time), and the worlds smallest FM radio.

And look at page 3-he uses a mac!

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think I have heard of this before. If memory serves, and I didn't read the full article, so I appologize if I am repeating.... One of the planned uses is to play commercials at coke machines. Since the sound can be focused, you could only hear the commercials if you were in front of the machine. Pretty intresting and disturbing at the same time. :)

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

This would help keep noise complaints down in apts. My neighbor needs this!

Dan

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've talked with these people about their products...cool stuff, and not that expensive considering the technology involved.

great stuff for some of my sound design installations...and to torment the hell out of a rather problematic neighbor...how i'd love to beam -120db of ozzy into his house at 4:00am...

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Sounds cool. If they could get the lows figured out, it'd make for a nice small system in my truck.

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    This techology was touched upon in Minority Report, with the very disturbing and, unfortunately, probably accurate depiction of future advertising ploys. Also it has been described briefly in a Newsweek article about the "Office of the Future" where workers could hear their own music without disturbing co-workers without the use of headphones.

It also, of course, has obvious military applications....:(

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Why would you want to put a highly directional system with poor audio fidelity in a truck?

Your vehicle is one of the last places you can turn it up with impunity...

8. Haberdasher thread starter macrumors regular

I would agree with you. I'd say ONCE they get the lows figured out, this will make an awesome audio system, since they can make it seem like the audio is all around you...think about the potential for home theaters, as you no longer need the most expensive speakers to get the surround sound effect!

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it never says anything about the sound being immersive-- that is, interpreted as three-dimentional by our ears. In fact, i think it's not. it's simply projected in three dimensions, which create the boundaries for the sound area. all in all, for such a special technology, the sound quality is probably very poor-- the article mentions problems with lows, but i bet the rest of the music sounds flat and uneven. so a car would be a very poor choice in locations--

pnw

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    these products were intended to project sound over long distances...then radiate that sound from a targeted wall or structure. fidelity is not a high priority.

the u.s. military has been actively experimenting with this stuff as a form of weaponry. imagine being bombarded with an incredibly loud and offensive noise that radiates from a large surface...

-120db of backstreet boys=surrender;)

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I wouldn't mind having this to combat the a$$holes that go down the streat with their stereo's blasting at over 120db to the rest of the world. You know the type, where you can feel the base coming from about a mile away. I'd blast feedback sounds at them as they drive by, blowing either their speakers, or ears. Maybe shattering all of their vehicle's windows in the process.

12. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    AMEN to that!! I don't know how or when this particular brand of stupidity got started, but I'd love to have a pocketful of eggs to toss at every violator of the peace who engages in this insensitive, perverse and annoying practice. (It HAS to be related to small ***** syndrome somehow)

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It sounds like you lot want some sort of hyper sonic gun. It is not imposible, you just need a lot of power. The US military has sonic guns, but they only last a few shots and require a battery the size of a backpack.

But it would be cool to blast someone with sound, maybe play the Sesimi Street theme tune to people who have the car stereo up really load.

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If it's attached to the side of a house, you could wire it to the house electricity and not have to worry about a battery power unit. I'd pay decent money to have that when I get my own house. If those punks drive down my street at the annoying hours. You know, between 10pm and 7am. My sister's house has those going by at all hours, which can annoy the pi$$ out of them.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can you imagine the number of people thinking they're "hearing voices"? Schizophrenia epidemic, anyone?

16. Chef Ramen macrumors member

theres nothing wrong with having a nice car system! people just need to understand that they need to insulate their car if theyre gonna pump out the bass like that, especially in the middle of the night.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

They also must NOT care about keeping their hearing... Studies have shown that the people with those type of car stereo have significant hear loss after even just a short time.

My hearing is important to me, which is why I don't crank up any of my music beyond a moderate level. Hell, I even use ear protection when riding the Harley depending on which helmet I use. The 3/4 helmet covers my ears, which provides protection. When I wear the 1/2 helmet, I use ear plugs, since that doesn't cover my ears and protect them.