NEC-Mitsubishi 30" LCD...Apple to follow suit?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rower_CPU, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Here's a story I came across at

So it's doable, though at a horrid resolution. Will we see even larger LCD screens go into production?

What will Apple do to keep professionals happy who scream for more screen real estate and higher resolutions?
  2. macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    just think about it...if the yield is so horrendous that you are getting 1280x768 for $4300 is it really even worth it?

LCD manufacturers really are going to have to drastically improve the manufacturing process in order to make these in bulk at acceptable resolutions.
  3. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Let's ask this, would needs a huge monitor that isn't much better then a current 23" LCD that cost's a grand more? For what bigger but not better picture?

4. macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I had a thread going on about the possibility of a 30" Cinema Display ( ) but the news was from macosrumors which isnt always the most reliable, they did suggest that it could be a year before the model was released and that the resolution would match the current 23". It would be a niche market, but I'm sure it would sell.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2004
    But I can't wait for buying ONE

Let the screen full out my eyeglasses
  6. macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    ummm might like to correct on the resolution specs on that monitor. It native reslution is much higher and I believe it can match apples 30incher. Plus PC world has the graphic card that can go that hight (we just can not run 2 30inch monitors)
  7. macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Wow, this is a really old thread.

The NEC screen is clearly designed for an area, not as a computer monitor. This is the display we all see at the airport with flight information, etc.

The specs should be right in the initial post since it was almost two years ago. Also, what are you talking about? The 6800 card can run two 30 in. displays.
  8. macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    How do people even come across threads this old? Obviously, we now know that Apple followed suit almost 2 years later, but with a vastly improved resolution. Of course the 2 years were worth it, because the NEC monitor didn't have a resolution useable for a desktop computer.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I did not even look at the first date on it. I hate jackass who bring up old threads.

2 years ago the 30 inch sucks

The modern 30 inch is pretty good and now that Nvid has made the graphic card for PCs (just start shiping recently still hard to get) everyone can run the 30inch monitors at that high res that apple does