nec nd2510 USB problem..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragon2611, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dragon2611 macrumors regular

I have a 1.5ghz macmini with 1gb ram 80gb harddrive and Combo drive.

I also have a nec nd2510 dvd +/- rw drive in a usb > ide encloure connected on one of the usb ports and a 160gb harddrive on the firewire port.

The problem i get is if i try to read anything from the usb drive the drive will stop reading the disc partway though and just sit there unless i power it off and back on again, then if i goto read a disc on it again the same thing will happen.

The really strange thing is the mac will write dvds/cd's with the drive just fine, its when it gets to verifying i have the problem it will get part of the way though and then stop looking at the disc :confused:

also if i put a disc in and start copying files off it the same thing will happen.

I got the drive/enclosure 2nd hand off my dad but the drive worked fine when he had it in his pc.

Incidently if i write a dvd on the drive then read it back on the macs internal combi drive it reads fine!

Im running tiger 10.4.4 but i've had this problem with 10.4.3 as well.

I did try patchburn to see if that made any difference and it didn't

Is it a software bug somewhere or something anyone got any suggestions. :confused:

I've already tried a different usb cable to no effect, wouldn't have thought it would be the connection as writing works fine :confused:

2. awulf macrumors 6502

Sounds like a hardware problem (maybe the reading part of the drive is damaged), try using the USB Optical drive on another Mac, to see if it works on it, if not, try it on a PC.

Or maybe the optical media you are using with the drive isn't compatible (unlikely if you tried different types of discs).