NEC ND3550A: Suitable in Dual G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yojitani, Jun 7, 2006.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This NEC drive is $9 :)eek: ) from Tiger Direct (after rebate) and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if it will work in a Dual G5. I've hated the drive apple put in here from day 1, but have stuck with it in the vain hope that it will die and my applecare will get me a decent new one. BUT for $9, I'm willing to take that excuse for a drive out.
    (Do I sound cranky? I'm always cranky about that drive)

I've read that NEC drives are usually compatible - the pioneer 110D seems to be the favorite and I haven't been able to find much on experiences with NEC drives.

yoji

2. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Cool site! Unfortunately:
    :(

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable dealing with a mail-in rebate that stiff--if you have trouble with it, you're out a lot.

I'll also note that since you can get a Pioneer DVR-111D for like $36 at NewEgg with no rebate hassles whatsoever, and it is totally supported by the built-in drivers in Tiger, if you really want a new drive it might be worth the extra $25 to avoid the $90 mail-in rebate hassle and risk of it not working.

4. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks for the input. Yeah, TigerDirect has their own rebate company, OnRebate. I had trouble with them once, but I took care of that;). Still, if the Pioneers are going for $36, it's certainly worth the peace of mind.

hmmm... anyone else?

5. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

OK... Please close thread. I just realized that the NEC drive is E-IDE and I should be looking for ATAPI.:eek:

Thanks to Makosuke for pointing out the cheap Pioneer drives on New Egg!

yoji

6. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Good greif... thats 3 separate rebates:confused: to get the 90 bucks back... that a load of BS... you know everyone isnt going to get all that back!
    :mad: :eek: :eek: