NEC vs. Apple display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Jan 21, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I have a 17" NEC flat panel display. Is there a big difference between that one and the 17" apple?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A little more information would help :rolleyes:, NEC make a lot of screens, some bad, some good.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i haven't used your LCD, but i can tell you that all the apple displays are simply amazing. we have both apple and nec/samsung displays at school, and the apple ones are just better.

5. Engagebot macrumors regular

I agree. i have two samsung 192N 19" LCDS, which in my opinion were the best looking PC lcds around (they're the same as the Dell UltraSharp 1900FP)

But by comparison, the apple displays really are more crisp. The viewing angle is supposedly better on the apple's too, but the samsungs are great anyway.

If you shop around, you can get a good deal.

3 x Samsung 192N @ $650 = $1950 (still as much as the 23" apple, and a ton more screen area)

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I love Apple's displays, but as opposed to their computers, I can't justify the extra cost. 17", maybe 19", is the size I need, but Apple just isn't competitive in those markets.

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i never used your LCD, but i am using the old MultiSyns LCD1530v. and it's been almost 3 yrs old and still going great. no dead pixel, no ghosting, wide view angle, etc etc.. anything i might expect from an LCD. colors are sharp too. and i'm sure newer NECs are even better. the only other LCD makers i'd take aside from apple would be ForMac, NEC, or Samsung. :)

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have 2 NEC 1810X 18" LCD's, they are 2-3 years old now but are still looking good, colours are crisp, nice and bright. The newer 1810SX's are even better and with a tiny bezel.

1880SX
    [​IMG]

Check out that bezel! I tell you, 6 of them together (3 on the top, 3 bottom) looks fantastic! :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]

edit: spelling ;)

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That is a nice size bezel :)D) for using multiple displays...

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I don't own the NEC 1715, but I saw it the other day at a Sam's Club, of all places. This leads me to believe that it is being discontinued -- though I don't really know.

The price certainly seemed right -- and the NECs have a pretty good reputation. They also carry the 19" model for under $600.

I wouldn't really compare it to the Apple, though. For one thing, the Apple display costs almost double (which is a shame). I would think the Apple would be a better display -- but being so damn expensive . . .

What I would like is a nice 19-20" cinema display from Apple for under $1000! (In my dreams, I guess.)