Necessary to turn off powerbook before attaching external monitor?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by swindmill, Mar 21, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

Mar 17, 2005
    I often attach a larger monitor to my Powerbook when I'm working at home, and have, for the month or so that I've done it, just plugged it in with the Powerbook on. I recently read in the manual that you should turn off the computer before attaching/unattaching any monitors. I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind this and whether it is really necessary. The only thing I have had happen as a result of not turning it off (I assume), is that one or two times when I unplugged the monitor, the cursor dissappeared causing me to have to restart the computer. Any thoughts, experience, or knowledge?
  2. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Dunno about the manual, but I hot-plug/unplug my monitor from an iBook I used to have. Absolutely no problems at all. But then again it's mirrored, and so the cursor can't disappear. The only thing that I think might get things really messed is if you make the external monitor the primary and the laptop's screen the secondary (expanded) display (is that even possible?).

As for the disappearing cursor, I'd think a really easy solution is just to make sure your cursor is on the laptop's screen, and not the external, when you unplug it. Oh, and don't leave any opened windows in there, that might potentially mess things up. Maybe Apple knows that many users are stupid, and wouldn't understand all that, so just kept it simple and said "turn off your computer before plugging/unplugging the external monitor". Reduces calls to AppleCare complaining about inaccessible windows and cursors :)
  3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 17, 2005
    I actually, just in the last few minutes, realized that if I have a my bluetooth mouse out when I shut the powerbook, it automatically makes the external monitor primary (which I wasn't sure how to reverse). Anyways, I suppose the cursor does only disappear when I leave the cursor on the other screen; I hadn't thought about that :eek:
  4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I don't close the lid or anything. Just plug in and unplug. Sometimes I need to select "Detect Displays" to get the right resolution but other wise it is fine.
  5. jackl79 macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2005
    yea i also just plug it in always works great only thing is if a folder or app is open on the 2nd screen and i unplug i have to go to detect displays or mirror to get the folder / app back

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Believe the G3 Pismo laptops needed to be turned off (or put to sleep) before attaching an external monitor or any external gadgets.

However, you should not have to turn off the G4 PBs. On Page 42 of "PowerBook G4 15-inch Getting Started and under OSX Help, it states to:

"Connecting an external display or projector to your PowerBook Your computer has an external monitor (DVI) port that allows you to directly connect a display or projector with a DVI connector. Use the included DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect your PowerBook to monitors and projectors that have VGA output.

To connect an external display or projector with a DVI connector to your computer:
    1. Turn on the external display or projector.
    2. Connect the display cable to your PowerBook. Your PowerBook automatically detects the external display. If your display has a VGA connector, connect the DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with your PowerBook to the VGA connector of the external display or projector, and then connect the adapter to your PowerBook.
    3. Adjust the resolution on the external display by clicking the Display tab in the Displays pane of System Preferences or by using the Displays icon in the menu b

Hope this helps
  7. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

While I leave it on, I find that if I use a DVI monitor I have to actively select "Detect Displays" after plugging in and unplugging.

A VGA monitor works automatically though and the PB manages to cope shuffling the displays on its own.