Need 1GB ram?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CiBoys, May 13, 2005.

1. CiBoys macrumors regular

CiBoys

I have a powerbook 12" 867 640MB SDRAM running on 10.4, do you guys think getting a 1GB ram will smooth things out, like starting up faster things like that.... :rolleyes:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Start up faster? No, not at all. Startup time is bound by the hard drive and CPU speed.

However, with more RAM, you can leave programs open, and thus switch between them much faster than opening and closing them.

Generally, the extra Gb will be a good thing.

As usual: Purchase your RAM from a reputable dealer who has tested and guarantees the RAM in your particular model of Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-charge return if the RAM doesn't work.

My bias is that buying PC Generic RAM from a discounter is not worth the risk for a new Mac owner.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

768 pretty much does it for me on my ibook, you have to realize their are macs that apple is selling with only 512 and even that is good enought for os x 10.4 so yeah, a gig is always good, but only get it if you *really* need it.. don't get it just to *get it* and think "woo my tabs open faster safari*

4. muzikool macrumors member

I just moved from 512 to 1.5GB on my G5 and immediately noticed a major improvement. There's no doubt in my mind you'll see one, too. :)

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Hrm.

Looking at the 12" Powerbook, the 867MHz and 1GHz models use DDR PC2100 (same as the current iBook G4). The 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz models use PC2700.

According to Apple's support site, the original (867 MHz) 12" Powerbook can handle only 640MB RAM while the 1GHz can handle a full 1.25GB.

Source: [http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14870]

The 867MHz model has 128 MB on-board, though. Sticking a 512MB module in will bring you to the specification's 640MB limit, while using a 1GB module would push you OVER the specified limit.

Additionally -- the logic boards between the two models (867MHz and 1GHz) have obvious differences (soldered RAM, DVI vs VGA, etc), so it's very possible that while they use the same type of RAM, the limits are, in fact, different.

Is there some undocumented case of the 867MHz 12" Powerbook running 1.25GB of RAM? Are the instability issues or anything else? If you have some reliable source, I'd love to read it.

Thanks.

8. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I upped my iBook G4 1.2 GHZ from 512k to 1.2 GB (233 memory from Crucial).

It's made a noticeable but not radical improvement in terms of keeping tons of apps open simultaneously.

Where it really helped was FCP and Garageband, if that's helpful.

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Wow. That's a 16384% increase! ;)

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Lol.

I can't live without 1GB+. If you can, I would go for it :)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It'll definitely help.

I had a rev B 12" 1 GHz Powerbook with 512 MB of RAM total for about 14 months. It was fine, but I multitasked waaaaay more than I thought I would once Expose was invented and Panther was released. Since I used to open 4 to 5, ten page PDF files at a time, Word, Excel, Safari + 5 tabs (minimum), Mozilla + 5 tabs, Mail, iCal, Address Book, and iTunes, it was better for me to have more RAM, so I splurged. I'm a PhD student.

You have more than 512MB of RAM already (ie: more than I used to), but the in going from 640 MB to beyond 1 GB may not be great enough to warrant the cost of a 1GB stick. Those things are pricey even if you buy from OWC or Newegg or whomever.

I'd save that $250 towards a newer iBook or PB, although I did need the extra RAM. :) It depends on how you use your system.

12. lmedland macrumors newbie

I have a 12" Powerbook 867Mhz and although Apple say it can't go beyond 640MB, I found a company which manufactures 1GB chips. It's been installed in my Powerbook for a while now and things are all good! So I have a total of 1.12GB.

I got it from http://www.transintl.com/

13. buggybear macrumors member

dudes. just search before asking.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111615&highlight=867MHZ+PowerBook+1GB
    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/12_PB_867_Upgrade/DSCN4918.JPG

now, unless those 12" rev.A (867MHz G4) Powerbooks are all made by hand and run on different parts that should be your answer right there.

as you can see, the guy used cheap-o PC2700 ram. now the 12"ers usually run on PC2100 RAM. what's the difference? 2700 can do faster, doesn't run faster than a 2100 in the 12", but is compatible.

14. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

it's fine to run a gig in it, i have the ibook g4 800mhz w/ a gig in it, even though it says max is 512. Only reason is says that is because when the model was built, 512 was the largest ram, so, it's all good. Go wilde, throw in a gig.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, I've been curious about this. Do you have 1.125 GB of RAM total then? Do you have to do anything special in terms of shopping for the memory stick? I hadn't really been able to find someone who had definitely done this. (I also have an iBook G4/12"/800MHz). Thanks for any help! :)

16. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Nope, just bought whatever i needed in a gig stick, dont remember what our computer's take anymore, but thats it

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...seems they cost about $130 without any special deals right now...tempting. Tiger is making me unhappy with 640. I just have to decide what my long term plans about this iBook are. :rolleyes:

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Cant go wrong with a RAM upgrade- more RAM = more performance!