Need a **Backpack** for 17" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by itsthedirtybird, Aug 3, 2005.

1. itsthedirtybird macrumors newbie

May 13, 2005
    I realize there is a stickied thread for sleeves but I specifically need a backpack that can accomodate a 17" powerbook and school books, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
  2. VIPER4 macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2004

I have the Brenthaven backpack and love it. They have a model that is designed specifically for the 17" PB and all its goodies. Great quality and very professional looking. You can find it on the Apple website.
  3. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I adore my STM Small Sphere backpack for my 12" PB. They make large size backpacks as well. Excellent quality, lots of pockets, well padded, etc. You can buy them on very reasonably. :)
  4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I've looked at the BackOffice from Shaun Jackson Designs, it's a very functional backpack.

As for my PB, I actually use a $15 backpack from Office Max that happened to have a compartment with sleeve that fit my powerbook. Sure the laptop is too big for it to zip up, but it offers decent padding, and the rest of the backpack is large enough to carry 3 full-sized textbooks + 1 5-subject notebook + 2 1" Binders.

Of course, I don't recommend carrying around 25-30lb of weight either ... I had a cheap daily locker which I used between classes since I carpooled. If you drive or live on campus you don't need to carry as much.

Oh my backpack ... no idea who it's by. Sorry.
  5. fire365 macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2005
    If you poor/cheep (which I highly doubt since you got a 17 powerbook) I got this handly computer backpack from target called the Ipack. It is designed for apples and it even comes with ipod and ipod mini cases that go on the straps, it in my opinon is well padded and compact while still havening a fair amout if room, the only draw back is that its bright orange on the insaide but on the outside its black so all is good. And the best part it only costs 29.99 much cheeper then anything at the apple store.
  6. public enemy macrumors regular

public enemy

Jun 7, 2005
    burton dj bag

i use the burton dj bag (, it not a two strap 'back pack' but rather a one strap messenger bag. but it does have a molded earphone case, ipod holder and drink holder. its very roomy and durable. it is made to carry 80 records- so the room for books, paper etc is there. padded and secure- check it out
  7. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    ive never seen a good laptop backpack that is worth carrying. all laptop backpacks are designed to cary a laptop and there is very little consideration in the actual fit of the backpack. i would recomend buying a real backpack, like a NorthFace pack, my personal favorite. then buy a sleve to fit in the pack. A company like NorthFace makes packs large enough for multiweek backpacking treks all the way down to a purse sized backpack. so its easy to find one large enough to cary a 17" and a good sleve. i think northface even has some with optional laptop sleves, but i doubt they are designed for the 17" PB. get a good sleve that fits the 17" and shove it in a good northface pack. youll be set. plus people wont recognize it as a laptop bag and wont look to steal your precious 17" PB!!!
  8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm selling my Brenthaven 17" bag for $100 if you're interested. Here's a link to some pics...

Brenthaven 17" Pro

Email or PM me if you're interested. I had it for my 17" before I switched back down to a 15" and it is simply the BEST backpack out there. I used it on campus for the last year and it carried my Powerbook, hard drives, books, and anything else I through at it with ease.
  9. ZachS macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    It's not exactly a backpack, but larger sizes of Timbuk2 and other messenger bags would work great.