Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lnatwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I teach at a high school and when we got the upgrade to Maya 6.5, it says we need 149 GB ???@!! I will be calling Alias tomorrow to check on that.

I do know we need more storage on the G5 Dual 1GB RAM that will "house" this software so what do you folks recommend for a 200 or so GB internal drive. (external just too tempting at a school.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
lnatwick said:
I teach at a high school and when we got the upgrade to Maya 6.5, it says we need 149 GB ???@!! I will be calling Alias tomorrow to check on that.

That has *got* to be a misprint or something. Their website quotes a much lower number. That number would essentially make it impossible for Maya to run on any notebook computer from any manufacturer, since 2.5" HDs >100GB are not really available.

lnatwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
yeah, I know what the web site says but I also know what the computer said when we put in the disk. Now granted, the young man who was helping me wants all the bells and whistles and I didn't have time to check on paring back the installation. Eventually though, the students I have that use it will need the bells and whistles. We're out of room for projcts on the machine now so I know it needs more storage. It is the only dual in the lab so it handles the rendering.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Check out Seagate and Hitachi - both of them have hard disks that come with 3 or 5 years warranty (way better than the 1 year warranty that many others provide).

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
Make sure you get the Seagate with the full factory 5 year warranty, not some dodgy discounter deal on OEM 'pulls'.

How do you know it comes with the 5 year warrenty? Moreover, is that warranty still valid when you are located in another country then the one you bought the harddisk. I checked the warranty information on the site from Seagate but it says nowhere about limitations to warranty when purchased outside of country of residence.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
minimax said:
How do you know it comes with the 5 year warrenty? Moreover, is that warranty still valid when you are located in another country then the one you bought the harddisk. I checked the warranty information on the site from Seagate but it says nowhere about limitations to warranty when purchased outside of country of residence.
Most Seagate models come with a 5 year warranty, and some of them with probably 3 years. Hitachi also has many models with 3 years warranty.

As far as I know, Hitachi's warranty is global, and I do not know of any other hard disk manufacturer that provides this. I did read the warranty statement of Hitachi, which didn't seem clear to me, and chatted with an online customer service rep to confirm this.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
I've recently installed Maya 6.5 as an upgrade from Maya 6 on my Powerbook, and it is simply not true that it takes 149GB. 149MB, maybe, but nowhere near even ONE GB. I'd check again to see if you were reading that right. No point in buying a new HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.