Need a Cell'

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CubaTBird, Mar 4, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Im like the only senior in my high school who doesn't have a cell it seems :eek: well im coo with it, i just c the phone as a means of callin someone... anyone got any ideas for a good cell phone? im gonna need one for college this coming fall when i start. flip phones look pretty cool :confused: any suggestions?

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Im getting a cell this summer!!!

And possibly a powerbook as a graduation gift (8th grade -> high school - I got into private school high school!) or my birthday (october) so Ill want a bluetooth phone.

---

I can't reccomend any type of phone, but Nextel has the i series and thats really good... the I860 looks great... its 300 bucks though... but looks good..

SmartPhones are supposed to be amazing - but Microsoft makes the OS... there is an iTunes phone coming IIRC...

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It really depends a lot on personal preference. Go to a local cell phone store and look at the phones, they'll have a bunch on display, and even more behind the counter that you can look at.

4. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

Motorola makes some nice looking phones such as the RAZR line, but these phones will cost you some big buckage.I believe the RAZR V3 is around $500.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well firstly, he doensn't need to the top-of-the-heap RAZR to get a great phone. The Moto e398 is cheaper than many other phones with all the high end features AND is cool.

However, don't get a Motorola phone because of the BT incompatibilities with Macs. Its just a hassle. I have a Sony Ericcson K700i, and it's fantastic. The signal is nice and clear, and the menu's are easy to use.

If you can live with getting an older model phone, get a SE T610/616, or a SE T630/T637. The only major difference between the T610 and my K700i that I know of is the quality of the screen. My screen kicks all sorts of ass, while the T610 is a bit less bright and colourful. Oh well, it has BT and looks good. Nobody would laugh at you for having that sweet phone unless their parents are loaded. ;)

6. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the NEED for a cell phone. If I think of something to say to someone that I'm not with, I can wait. I can contribute to fewer accidents on the highway, by not talking on the phone while driving (statistics similar to driving while intoxicated). Who will be paying for it? You or your parents? Don't feel that you need to answer. I sure don't need to hear it.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I wish Cell Phones never came out. Pagers were THE SHIZ. Parents couldn't call you and talk to you, they could just page you and you could find time to call them. Way better.

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Me and all my friends have the LG 6070. It's a great phone and it can really take a beating. You should see some of the abuse me put it through. Its been thrown down halls dropped off second floor balconies been crushed under various heavy objects (ie one of my friends :p). Really great phone and it has a great interface, its really easy to use.

9. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I use an LG LX5450. It's quite full featured (a camera phone), and was only like $40 with the contract. (Yes, I know there are cheaper phones available with contracts, but that's about the lowest I've seen for a camera phone).

10. freiheit macrumors 6502a

The best recommendation I can make for someone who doesn't feel the need to use a cell phone is to go to TracFone (or some similar prepaid service) and get a phone through them. I don't like cell phones. I never wanted to own a cell phone. But I got a TracFone for "emergencies" and it's worked out great. Since I'm not calling all my homies and hotties every fifteen minutes like some people I work with, the prepaid plan is great for me. I almost never even use up the minutes from year to year (I have the yearly plan). If you do need more, you can always buy them online or with a phone card that's sold at major retailers.

As to the phones themselves, TracFone uses several of them. Mine is an older model (Nokia 5160 or something like that) but since my cellphone is not my life, I don't care that it doesn't play 3D games or use 20 different irritating ring tones for each of my buddies.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    my parents gave me a cell phone back when motorola made the star tacs and smart tacs hehe

so i havent been without one for over 7 years

im on sony ericson now love hteir interface

12. tom.96 macrumors regular

I've always been a fan of Siemens mobiles. Always been good value, good technology and good to use. Reliable too - never had a problem.

13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

i have had Siemens, Motorola,Samsung and Nokia... i think the best is Nokia. It is the easieast and it is most supported phone. But samsung is also pretty good. It is getting much better.

DjVoTeZ

14. benbondu macrumors regular

Get the free one

I don't have a cell phone, but if I did get one it would probably be this Sony Ericsson T637 BT phone for $200 profit.

http://dealmac.com/articles/81768.html

The only downside is you have to sign a 2 year contract I think. And it's Cingular. If you don't want Cingular then it's not for you. I have no idea how good the phone is, but for -$200 it can't be that bad.

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That was also my first phone, the star tac. It was so big I couldn't fit it in my pocket, I had to keep it in my backpack :p

16. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

The first step is to find out what service providers there are in your area, and which ones offer the best coverage. Then pick a minute plan that best fits your calling habits and budget. Finally, choose a phone from that company's offerings which you like the best and also fits your budget. You do have to consider quality and reliability of the phone brand, also. I have found that Nokia is exceptional in this regard. But I now have a Samsung, and it has not given me any trouble yet.

17. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

garhum.... perhaps u don't know my situation? i need the cell so i can contact my folks when i need to take various trains home... somedays i may need to stay at school longer than others.. library.. friends.. etc.. randomness lol

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Yea, i wish my parents didn't have my cell number.
    Anyway, u should look at plans and companies, first. You might want to wait longer and see what your most of your friends have. if most of them have verizon, its free verizon to verizon. also make sure u have service where u want service.

19. Jopling macrumors 6502

Sony Ericsson

I am on my second Sony Ericsson phone and it is the best phone I have ever used. I've used Motorola, LG, and AudioVox and the T616 and the T637 that I have are amazing. I can control my computer with it, my computer can control it, I can hook it up to my car (wirelessly with bluetooth) for speaker phone, and I can also customize my phone a ton with http://myt610.net . I highly recommend any Sony Ericsson. I am going through AT&T Cingular, I found that before the merger I got so-so reception, but since the merger I get a pristine signal almost everywhere, even underground.

20. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I had a motorola phone (v60t i think) back when I was with Cingular and hated it, it never worked well at all. I switched to Sprint and have had a Sanyo 8100 with them for about 2 years and love it :).

allison.

21. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I agree, check out Virgin mobile (uses sprint pcs network), costs more per minute, but if you don't use it that much, with no monthly bill could cost less overall, does for me.

22. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Nokia 3120 on Cingular is a good phone. Not particularly good for text messaging or anything like that, but since the only special feature I actually use is the speakerphone, that's okay by me.

I still prefer my Western Electric when I am at home, though I can't obviously carry that about.

23. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Samsung x427m. Love it. It doesnt have a camera but its awesome!

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

My cell is considered ancient by todays standards. A Nokia 3360. I prefer non-flip out phones. How many of you prefer non-flipout phones?