Need a computer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I was thinking of building a really fast PC for gamming and stuff around xmas time b/c my brother really wants my current computer. The only problem is that I have been wanting to venture into the mac world when college comes next year maybee with the G5 laptop. I guess my question is: Would it be dumb to build a top of the line PC(cheaper than G5 powermac or else I would get a powermac) around xmas just to have it sit in my room a couple months later when I go to college b/c I will be wanting a desktop replacement laptop? If so any suggestions... If not, why?..

THANKS! :)

2. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

The way I look at it, games are always fun until you beat them or don't have the time for them...I keep rebuilding awesome gaming machines with top-spec hardware, and just getting sick of windows....If I were you, I'd go ahead and get a current model mac and be happy....people are still using G3 Powerbooks, iBooks, and iMacs, so you should be able to notice the longevity here and value holding characteristics....Games are fun...thats why you get a console or something....staying on the upper end of PC gaming as I unfortunately do is too costly...

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Well, you can build a very nice gaming PC for less than $1000 so it's not a huge investment.

On the other hand, if you can hold out till the next generation of Mac laptops come out, you could get that, as it'll play many current games (likely), as long as you don't want to play PC only games.

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

The funny thing about top of the line gaming PCs is they become obsolete in the time it takes you to put them together; especially in this day when there are two very well established competitors in the high-end CPU market (AMD and Intel) constantly trying to one-up each other.

If you really want a gaming PC, a lot of people are pretty happy still with the XBox -- despite it being built around 2001 vintage components, the games that are made for it seem to do well enough on that hardware, probably because they don't have the burden of running a complete Windows XP system. Or you can build a really good gaming PC for under $800 (with say an Athlon64 3200+, a gig of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro) which would be a heck of a lot more powerful than an XBox and still run Doom 3 very well.

But I've found that a Mac is worth saving for. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big gamer (I like Ms. PacMan and Space Quest V :D) so I've kept my "old" AthlonXP 2400+ while I transition to my dual G4 PowerMac. I'm enjoying MacOS X 10.3 a great deal and feel it was definitely worth the money. If you are interesting in going Mac and you're sure you can afford it within a year, I'd say start saving up for it. Anyway, by the time Doom 3 for Mac is available, the PowerBook or whatever you buy as new will surely be able to run it, so you'll get your gaming system and your Mac all in one.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You seem to have a bit of trouble with making your own decisions.

What happened to the 17" PB that you so desperately wanted to get? What happened to the worries about typing in class?

If you're this unsure about anything you do, then don't buy any computer. Keep your computer, and let your brother get another computer for himself. Then, when you finally get the nerve to buy that Mac, get it. Why waste more money on something you'll keep around in your bedroom for a few months before you leave for school with a PB?

If your parents have lots of money and don't care, then just get both.

6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

ditto, don't spend for the sake of it! Unless of course you can afford it, in which case I'd like one of those shiny cinema displays I love so much!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but I still can't get over the fact that some people can't make simple, unimportant decisions for themselves even before they go to university. How do you decide to get out of bed in the morning?

Like I said, its all finances. Since you can afford a 17" PB and can even dream of buying a PC in the meantime for ships and giggles, then I guess you should just do it and enjoy it for a few months. I guess you could always come home and use it for gaming and such, but why give your brother the older computer when he can use the new one more often than you?

8. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

becuase he's nine years old? and I thought that forums were created for the sole perpose of helping ppl with questions? (aka, just chill out man)

"Inquiry is meaningless to an unintelligent person, but helpful to a smart one"
    -Rob587

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You need to take that Shiat out of your sig. Even if its true, this isn't the place.