Need a copy of the System Preferences app for 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by, Oct 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2011

My System Preferences app doesn't open. It's missing from my Applications folder, it isn't in my dock, and when I try to open it from the :apple: menu it doesn't open at all.

I have tried repairing permissions and everything on the 'net.

I do not have my Mac install discs with me, as I'm not at home and won't be for a long while.

I need a copy of someone's System (he must be running 10.5.8, I believe). Just .zipping it, uploading it on DropBox and giving me the download link would mean the world for me!

Thanks! :)
  2. macrumors 68020

Jun 15, 2012
    Repair Permissions does not magically recreate deleted files!!! In fact, it does very little, and should not be considered useful for most purposes.

Secondly: If you don't have a backup, make one. You can expect to lose files (more importantly, your own documents) without one.

Thirdly, while someone here may oblige, it's not the wisest move to accept executables from strange men on the internet.
    If you need to set a particular preference, it may be possible to do so with defaults write commands in the Terminal for the time being. What do you need to configure?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2011
    Hi, thanks for the answer.

1) Well, it appears that pretty much everyone is suggesting this on every thread related to this issue, so I just wanted to make sure people understand that I did try it.

2) I will make a back-up, sure.

3) Nope, I need the whole System Preferences app. Using the Terminal to accomplish some tasks is provisory at most, for me. I really hope someone will be kind enough to share his System file with me. Maybe. Please? :)
  4. macrumors 68020

Jun 15, 2012
    Yes, using the Terminal is a temporary stop-gap until you get back home to your disks. What do you want to alter?
  5. macrumors 68030

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm not entirely sure but this might work: download the 10.5.8 Combo updater from Apple and, using the app "Pacifist", extract the System Preferences app. I think to make sure things work properly you should then run the 10.5.8 Combo update.
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Gone to the Beach