Need a favor from WOW on Laptop players

Discussion in 'Games' started by robo74, May 4, 2005.

1. robo74 macrumors 6502

I travel alot for my job, and the PC crap laptop they give me does not run WOW at all. So, I am thinking about buying a Apple Laptop.. but I cant afford the biggest badest machine. So my questions is to the WOW players on laptops... what do you use and how does it perform?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

On my previous TiBook (1Ghz/1GB/64MB RM9000) the game was certainly playable (15+ fps). With my AlBook (1.5Ghz/512MB/64MB RM9700) the game is much nicer and typically gets 20-25 fps. I need to add RAM though, as there are certainly places where my old machine performed better (or at least with less grinding).

If your more concerned with getting into the game that all the bells and whistles, an iBook or PB 12" with all the RAM you can cram will certainly work well. If you want all the pretty, then certainly go with the 15" or 17".

3. robo74 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for the reply...

I know any laptop wont run it like my G5.. but I was really hoping it would be playable on a 12in 1.2 G4 iBook.

Thanks for the input!

Rob

4. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

It should be, don't get me wrong. But the Radeon 9200 w/32MB VRAM won't support all the same stuff that the PowerBook line will. For one, the 9200 doesn't support pixel shaders, which on my new PB I have discovered make the game look much nicer indeed :). Also with only 32MB VRAM you'll be shuffling textures back and forth much more often (I got some experience with this when I had to play on an external monitor -- the game definitely wanted the extra VRAM). But from a pure playing standpoint, you can certainly play, even if the game isn't as gorgeous as your used to.

5. makey macrumors member

It plays fine on my 12" iBook. Average of 20 FPS. However, do expect occassional framerate droppage, especially in Ironforge.

6. robo74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all that replied.
    I went to my loacal apple store and picked up a "Refreshed" 14in 1.33 G4 iBook with combo drive for a little over $1100. I was very happy about the deal and its in excellent condition.
    I got a 512 of ram from OWC right away and threw it in.

I installed tiger and WOW right away. Compared to my Pent 2.4GHZ PC laptop that my company gives me, this iBook just blows it away. The PC laptop allows me to log into WOW and select my guy, once it loads the map and stuff, its useless.

This iBook however is real nice. I avg about 20 FPS with alot of the settings lowered. It does get a bit choppy when I am in a heavy area with lots of people. But this machine will be perfect for when I am on the road away from my Dual G5. Its very playable and I am happy with the performance for such a lowend type laptop (according to some) but to me the iBook is good quality.

Rob

7. Pulse macrumors newbie

How does 20-25 fps seem though? Smooth?

Some people say the 15 inch albook with 9700 128meg is fantastic, others say they are dissappointed.

If someone would be so kind to run the game on their laptop and post fps(control-r is the command to display fps I think) in different areas(outside, instances, cities, raids, etc) we would appreciate it.

Also, is Apple going to update the powerbooks in June?

8. Pulse macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, if anyone posts their fps also post the settings of the game as well. Buying a 15 inch albook is no good if I have to run the game with all the settings to minimum and anything other than the native res.

9. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

With 1GB of RAM (thank god!) I can run with most settings set to medium-high (terrain distance is set about 1/3 through). This usually gets me 20-25 FPS (30 without the UI). I can play with terrain distance set to half (technically) but the FPS drops to around 15 or less at that point. With 512MB of RAM I had frequent paging, which made most places a serious pain to run through (let alone instances). And I only have 64MB of VRAM (I decided against getting a maxed out PowerBook this time since I'm getting a PowerMac). Overall, the improvement from the 1Ghz TiBook is great for me.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i played it on a mac mini and it was ok about 20fps at ironforge that was everything lowest, i play it mostly on my dual 450MHz cube at about 15fps fine. :) it's playable in instances even on my g3 ibook.