Need a few tips on buying a used powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ZoomZoomZoom, Jun 4, 2005.

1. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    I'm trying to buy myself a powerbook right now at a good value. I've been searching through auction sites and different retailers to find "the one." I need the powerbook for college schoolwork, accounting programs, basic work, and some gaming (like WoW). I really want a 17''. I'd settle for a 15'' if the battery life wasn't so bad.

Here are my two options so far:
    17'' PB 1.5 gHz, 64mb VRAM, 4200 RPM 80GB, 512kb RAM
    17'' PB 1.5 gHz, 128mb VRAM, 5400 RPM 80GB , 1gig (1slot) RAM
    Both are in mint condition.

What should be the maximum price I should offer before the powerbook isn't worth it anymore? I remember someone posting a link to a site that has powerbook values, but I haven't been able to find it with Search.

I'd prefer to get the cheapest one possible that will meet my needs, but I've heard a few bad things about the 4200 RPM HD, and I'm worried about the VRAM being lacking for games. Is the 4200 really that bad?

2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Personally, I'd go with the second option. The 4200 RPM drive and Video RAM will serve you will (as will the additional RAM). I'd also recommend a new 15" as it has all these options already and will seem much more portable (but then again I don't know if you'll be carrying it around). Though you said you'd use it for college, and in that case, I'd get the 15".

Good luck!
  3. deebster macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    Do an eBay search including sold items and see what the going rate is there.

As you know, a 17" is gonna be a big laptop to haul around and to use at college. May not even fit on your deks too well.

Why not go for a new 12" (after WWDC on Monday) and then a cheapo large CRT monitor for use at home? You'll get the best of both world then.

Of course if the 128MB VRAM is a requirement you are SOL on the 12" right now, but maybe Steve and the boys will have a nice surprise next week.