Need a free e-mail service that works with Mail (POP?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcarnes, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hello!

I'm canceling my cable internet because it's so damn expensive, so I need a free e-mail provider that will work with Apple's Mail application. Does it have to be POP to work with Mail? Can I use yahoo?

Appreciate any suggestions for a good free e-mail service.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you can use Hotmail as long as you install this plugin ...oh yeah!

3. Gee macrumors 65816

Simon says...unfortunately, duff-man is a little wrong i think. Microsoft stopped doing pop access with hotmail and such about three months ago, even with that great plugin.

Your best bet is yahoo! Go for it...

4. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I thought Hotmail were stopping people from getting mail through Entourage/Mail (with plugin) etc unless you paid a fee?

edit: Gee beat me to it!

Everything I've heard about Spymac mail says it's s***, frequently down, and when it is working, slow as hell.

6. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I think you cant access your free yahoo email account by using pop3, they are charging for it I believe

7. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

yea it was in the begining but now it loads faster and I never had any problem for a long time :)

8. Gee macrumors 65816

Sorry edesign! Too slow ;-)

Yep, Yahoo allows pop access, and I use it with Mail, and I don't (at the present time) pay for it.....

9. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you could use gmail with a certan plug-in (i forget the name.) there's a thread with invites, or pm me with your email if you want one.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....really? That is good to know...thanks for correcing me. I let my old hotmail account go quite a while ago as it was just spam anyway.....oh yeah!

12. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with Bluebottle (www.bluebottle.com). They seem to be pretty good.

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Microsoft did indeed stop POP access for hotmail but the plugin that Duff Man provided is still allowing me to access my hotmail through mail.app, and incidentally Entourage is still working as well. Don't know how long this is going to last for though and wouldn't really recommend Hotmail as a viable e-mail account anyway.

14. Gee macrumors 65816

That's interesting. My Hotmail stopped working with mail pretty much the week they announced they were stopping it. Do you have a premium account or anything like that?

15. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Check out this site

www.softhome.net

offers free pop and smtp mail, also webmail for when you need it, I've been using these guy's for about 7 years, and have never had a problem.

The free accounts have no advertising :), but on the down side, they don't have a filter, but Mail.app's Junk seems to work fine for me.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

No a bog standard account that I don't even use that often. It has been upgraded to 250 MB, although that shouldn't make a difference.

17. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

My hotmail account still works with Entourage, and I was always under the impression that it used some sort of proprietary means to access the account, rather than pop, etc., which are only available with the premium accounts (which I don't have).

18. abc123 macrumors 6502

my first ever email account was with these guys and although i don't use it anymore i can back up claims that it is great

19. moot macrumors regular

Try Yahoo Japan.

I've been using it ever since Yahoo USA started charging for POP access. Currently both POP and SMTP are free.

Only drawback of course is that its all in Japanese :p
    But you could register using a combination of translation websites or the translation function in Sherlock to understand what the fields say. Once set up then just make a new account in Mail and you are away. No more Japanese to worry about.

20. howard macrumors 68020

howard

my hotmail still comes in through mail, i havn't been upgraded yet, still at the 2 or 3 megabyte or whatever. but yeah it works just fine, i even just tested it now.