need a game for my new Mac...

Discussion in 'Games' started by proverbs, Mar 16, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

hello. I just recently bought a Powerbook G4 and I LOVE it. I was previously a PC user, but will never go back.
    The only thing missing is a good game. I'm not a big gamer, but I need a few games to keep me entertained. I was thinking of Warcraft III or C&C:Generals. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

well, warcraft 3 is a good start as it's pretty enjoyable for anyone. I guess for simulation games, the sims or simcity series are good. MMORPG would definitely be world of warcraft (can't stop playing it). FPS would be Unreal 2004 and Halo.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Warcraft 3 is a good choice. I love first person shooters, ghost recon is awsome on gameranger, so is rainbow six. Another popular favorite is Civilization 3. If you have any questions about a game just ask here, or there are good websites. www.insidemacgames.com is one of my favorite websites because there is a ton of demos available to try out for free.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I hear that the new game from Ambrosia software, Gooball is good. I'm downloading it right now. We'll see!

5. rccola70 macrumors regular

If you're into shooters:

America's Army
    Call of Duty and Expansion (United offensive)

6. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Go to this site: http://www.macgamefiles.com/

Download some demos and see what you like. What are your PB's specs? VRAM? Screen size, etc.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats true :D

8. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you have a working Classic environment, you should check out Macintosh Garden for the ultimate old school/nostalgia kick... ;)

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a great FPS and its multiplayer play is still hard to beat. As far as value for the buck this one & UT2K3/4. you can thank me later ;)

11. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I second that...ahh (gets misty eyed) happy days fragging on demon servers...sigh

12. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If you're into strategy games look up Homeworld 2. Strategy in space with real 3D. Bought it a couple of weeks ago, lot of fun! :D

13. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

The only two games I play on my mac are Warcraft III and UT2004 (I have to turn down the detail on this one). I also played Dungeon Siege, until I beat it.
    I completely recommend any of those 3 games.

UT2004 ROCKS for multiplayer.

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well in the RTS field, I recemend C & C Generals and ethier Age of Empires II or Age of Mythology. In the FPS area, if you are in to historical shooters I would pick up Call of Duty and it's expansion pack United Offensive. United Offensive has great multiplayer. Another good FPS if Halo. It has great single player and multiplayer. Those all run well on my 933 MHz, so your PowerBook should be fine. (I have played C & C Generals on a PC, and I downloaded the demo for my Mac. The demo ran fine. It's a good game.)

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Amen brother! :D

Also, if you liked Halo, go download Bungie's Marathon Trilogy, sort of the precursor to Halo (they're free now). You'll need to run the original Marathon game via Classic, but Marathon 2 and Marathon ? will run with AlephOne, a MacOS X port.

Then again, if you haven't played Halo, get it. :)

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I hope you didn't mean to say that Halo runs fine on a 933MHz iBook. My iBook is the same specs as yours and it ran horribly.

17. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Although it is getting pretty long in the tooth, you simply cannot go wrong with StarCraft and the BroodWar expansion pack. The best RTS of all time in my opinion.

18. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Quake III
    EV Nova
    Warcraft III

Those are three stellar titles, although I'm not much of a gamer.

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It ran fine. I have a 640 MB of RAM and 32 MB of VRAM. There was this other guy who could run it on his 700 MHz just fine.