Need a good Cheap GPS unit for the car...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by corywoolf, Oct 3, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

My step dad delivers medical supplies for a living and he has had problems finding houses in the boonies. What is the best GPS device I can get for around $300? I was looking at the Garmin 010-N0226-03 but am not sure how good it is. The company he works for gives him print outs from like a map quest type of program and he has had bad luck with the maps provided. Most of his routes are to places near suburbs, but a few are in the boonies. I understand that it wont always be dead on accurate on directions, but the reminders of where to turn and the visual should help him. He is about 50 yrs. old and needs something simple and fool proof. I can show him how to enter things, I just don't want something that can do 50,000 things, but doesn't have a decent interface to do them.

Any advice would be sweet!

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i just bought a garmin 255wt for $249

it got great user reviews everywhere. my first experience: easy to use, good screen, maps seem reliable,

on feature that i thought is important: it reads street names. that means it says : "go right on Elm Street" instead just "go right"

a lot of people are 100% garmin fans but i guess it's like mac vs PC.

i bought it for my GF and she said initially "too complicated" but after 1 hr she liked it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you're going to street addresses like 123 Maple Street, be aware that the GPS is likely to not be accurate as to neither which side of the street nor exact spot between intersections. (Neither is google for that matter). There is one street in Florida which is a circle and my in-laws house shows on the gps as being on the opposite side of the circle.

4. Caralvarez24 macrumors regular

This happens with ever Garmin GPS I have used also. My house is said to be several houses before it actually is. I figure eventually a map update will fix this.

My house also is in Florida and the house is only like 6 years old so I thinking they made the maps and after that the addresses changed.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    50 huh? damn ancient;) THIS 60 year old replaced my p.o.s. Magellan 6000T with my i-Phone. I use it a LOT, running an Airport Shuttle, (I bring people from Citrus County here in Florida to Tampa International,Orlando International). Hasn't failed me yet. If you need a straight up GPS ,Garmin is the way to go.:cool:

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The street numbers only give a range of numbers for the street, not actual locations. The database is not big enough to keep coords for every address. I learned early on to watch both sides of the street and the numbers on the street not just the GPS. They are not likely to change that anytime soon.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

This person posted this post over 3 years ago why is everyone answering now?

8. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

My parent just bought the TomTom ONE and so far it has been great. They bought it for like 199$ or less i think, and the thing is really simple but as a GPS is perfect. My dad, an experienced pilot, was a tad surprised to find this TomTom working perfectly (he's a Garmin guy) and being really simple to use. Even tough we now the streets here in Florida, some places are a tad difficult to find for non-locals, hence the GPS. So far it has taken us perfectly to the Cirque Du Soleil thing, Miami Seaquarium, the place of our relatives (its like 1.5 hours away), a restaurant I can't recall the name, and most importantly GuitarCenter :p If you want a simple, relatively inexpensive and useful GPS then I'll recommend it. BTW there are fancier ONE models, we have the 125 one.

Victor