Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I'm going to a halloween party/chili cookoff tomorrow night and I need a good chili recipe. I like things a little bit spicy but it doesn't matter, I can eat it either way. So does anybody have a "knock your socks off" chili recipe?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I've got two. One is a chile con carne with chunks of meat and some dried southwestern peppers, the other is a ground beef with kidney beans and tomato style. Both are pretty spicy. IIRC, the ground beef one has a variation that uses black beans and bacon...

iSaint

macrumors 603
Adding some Chili Hot Beans to your Kidney Beans is a good idea. Just the right amount of chili powder is key. Not too hot, but a little bite to it is good.

Also, we've been eating ground turkey for years. Less fat and less filling.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Cheaters Chili
1 Family size salsa jar (I use chi-chi's. Pace works well too)
2 large cans Kidney beans

Combine and simmer for 1-3 hours. (ie dump everything in a crock pot)

I made a really great pumpkin chili once can't remember what all went into it.

Meatless chili's tend to be hotter.

The recipe here: http://www.cookingcache.com/poultry/thesoupnazismexicanchickenchili.shtml

I've used before and works well

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Thanks for the ideas. I tried a Cajun Chili that I found on the internet and it turned out really good. I got 3rd place in the chili cook-off.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
In a large pan fry off a chopped onion and chopped garlic, chuck in some dried chili flakes and hot chili powered. Add minced beef as this is cooking add Oregano and 5 - 6 finely chopped birds eye chilies. When the meat is cooked add chopped tomotoes, red kidney beans and tomatoe puree and allow to cook down (30 - 40 minutes). Then add a few squares of good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum).

The quantities of ingredients I use are:

700g minced beef
1 large red onion
2 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons chili flakes
1 tablespoon oregano
70g hot chili powder
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
5 - 6 chopped fresh birds eye chilies
2 tablespoons tomato puree
6 squares of Green & Blacks organic dark chocolate.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I thought you guys might like to see a couple pictures of my Halloween costume from the party/chili cook-off. If you can't tell, I went as Napoleon Dynamite. The second picture is me getting my award for the chili cook-off and the third is a dance-off between me and another guy who came as Napoleon.

Images from http://www.clarkspartybarn.com

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 64

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
MongoTheGeek said:
Meatless chili's tend to be hotter.

Depends on how much and what type of chilies you use surely!?
I know you have to compensate for the fact that capsaicin is soluble in fats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.