Need a good MiniDV camcorder for Xmas

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find a good camcorder for christmas to go with a new iMac. I'd like to be able to spend < $400. I'd appreciate any advise, or personal input!

Thanks!

Right now I'm thinking a Canon ZR65MC

2. thecow macrumors 6502

Whatever you buy, DON'T get a Samsung camcorder!!!! They have horrible image quality and the one that I had only lasted for one year. With them, you get what you pay for.

Anyway, to answer your question, the Cannon one seams like a good. But if you are looking for something under $400 the quality isn't going to be amazing.

Edit: I just found this review for the ZR65MC.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have a Canon Optura 40 which I have been pretty happy with. All low end DV cameras are going to provide only average performance and terrible low light capability. I suggest you might be better off buying a Still shot camera with a 30 Frames Per Second with unlimited time, which also supports cheap media like Compact Flash or SD. That way you get similiar sorts of low end video but at least have a decent still camera as well. This of course will not allow long movies and wont be true NTSC/PAL, but still can be pretty good.

4. thecow macrumors 6502

I was thinking about getting the optura 40. Is it a good camera?

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yes, I have been impressed. A little bit of motor noise which is annoying, but I think the latest UK Macworld (Nov?) praises it rightly I believe. I just bought the expensive external microphone but have yet to test it...

Edit

Actually in USA edition for November

http://www.macworld.com/2004/10/reviews/dvcamcorders/index.php

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

JVC dv cams are pretty good, I find that their GUI is fairly straight forward, and you don't have to deal with a touch screen like sony. Again what another poster said about low light filming with cheaper dc cams, tis true, it will look very bad. But, I am still amazed at how good quality you can get with a nice sunny day.