Need a good wireless printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joemama, Nov 29, 2006.

1. joemama macrumors 6502

My wife really wants a color printer, scanner, fax, etc that is wireless. Right now I print through the wired network, but every time she wants to print she has to plug directly into the printer. Needless to say it is a big pain.

I would prefer laser, but need to stay in the $200-$400 range. If I need to go ink-jet then so be it.

Any advise?

2. JAT macrumors 603

Can you get an Airport Express and use it with your current printer?

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

already on the network?

your current printer sounds good, as it already has network capability. the airport express also popped into my head as the post above, or how about a wireless print server (d-link, netgear, linksys, etc).

another thought... although maybe i am missing something?! with the printer already being on the network, why not just get a cheap wireless access point (if your network doesn't have wireless) to plug into the router/switch, and print to the current printer on the current network? static ip the printer (no need if it's hp) and your computers are already set to use it.

hp onboard wireless printers in your price range work ok, but would be inkjet, and the initial setup is a total pain in the ass. you run through the exact same setup 4-6 times and suddenly it starts working. seems to work well after the initial fight is over however.

best of luck.

EDIT: went looking at hp and found THIS which is a newer version of the printer i use for my home office. fast, quick, quiet, really good quality prints and pictures. and it already has the wireless built in. supports mac and pc if that matters.

4. joemama thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using a Linksys wireless/wired router. If I plug the Apple Laserwriter 16/600 into it via ethernet, the laptop won't see it.

That, and the laserwriter isn't cutting it anymore.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Two months ago, I bought a Brother HL 2040 Laser Printer from Amazon. I have an Airport Express, plugged it in, loaded the software and it works flawlessly! I'm also very happy with the print quality and the speed. Replacement cartridges are about $30. The printer is currently priced at $80.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got a Canon PIXMA MP530 with my Mini and it is great. Have it hooked up to my airport so I can print via the Mini and my wife can print via her PB. If you don't want to get an airport express to print through, hook up the printer to your Mac and set printer sharing and set the hard drive not to go to sleep so she can always print to it without having to wake it up.

The Canon is a six-tank inkjet. Great quality. Highest rated all-in-one out there. Has document feeder, great for scanning multiple pages to single pdf file. Scan, copy, fax, print.

The MP 460 I think is the same printer without the doc feeder. Not sure on that though. The 530 was $199 from Apple, got a rebate making it $99. But you can find it online for $170.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

If you want a B&W laser (toner) all-in-one, get a LaserJet 3000 series. Say a 3015 or something like that. They do run a little more, but the toner will last longer/be cheaper in the long run. Remember though that when you do have to replace one of those 3000 page toner cartridges, they run $50-80, and I don't find the scanning and copying on those to be of great quality.

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I don't know the difference in cost between a "normal" printer and a wireless one. What I do is have an Airport Express connected to my wireless/wired router. The wireless is disabled on my router. Then I have the printer connected to the Airport Express and also use it to connect to my laptop to wirelessly.

So

Cable Modem
    > Router (wireless disabled)
    > > Wired Desktop
    > > Airport Express
    > > > Printer
    > > > Laptops

I haven't tried printing from the Desktop to the printer but figure it can because of Bonjour.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have the PIXMA 810 and also love it. I'd have gone with the 830 and its faxing capability, but my wife wanted the more photo-oriented 810. Print, scan, and copy quality is fantastic. Wireless access via printer sharing works fine. There is also a Bluetooth add-on for it, but I have no need for that. While there are some exceptions, most printers will work fine if they're connected to another Mac or PC, or a router with a USB printer connection.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I really like the 530. Got a Mini 1.66 refurb for $649 and the Canon 530 for $199 on the printer promo, so that's $100 rebate. Not bad $748 plus tax and the RAM & Ministack I bought. Great little setup.

I don't use the fax, no home line, but I wanted something with a doc feeder and a flat glass.

11. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

A problem with printers hooked up wirelessly through airport express is that their additional functions, such as scanning, do not work wirelessly (at least that is the case with my Canon PIXMA MP500). On the other hand, the HP Officejet (7450?) with wireless built-in prints AND scans wirelessly.

12. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I have a Brother MFC-7820 which does all the things you're talking about. I really like this printer. It's not wireless, but you could add an 802.11.b wireless bridge for about $30 and still come in around $350 all together.

Edit: just noticed you want a color printer...hmm...Brother might have a color version of my model, but probably not for $350.

13. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Why would wireless scanning matter when you have to go to the machine anyways to put what you're scanning in it?

14. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I also wondered exactly that until I needed to scan several documents within a span of a few days. For each document, I had to free up a USB port in my PB, then plug the scanner, unplug when done, re-plug whatever had been plugged to the PB before. Doable but not too much fun.

Besides, by your logic, why do you need a wireless printer when you still need to walk to that printer and pick up the printout? :rolleyes:

15. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the hp i linked does wireless scanning, and also the card reader slots function over the network. really (REALLY) handy for moving pictures from the camera picture card to the network storage all without plugging in a cable. and the scanning thing is just cool. i mean, come on! i am scanning over a wireless network connection! :eek:

ok, maybe i just need to get out of the house more...:eek:

16. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Not sure if you've already thought about this; but I have my HP PSC 1510 connected to my iMac, which is connected to my wireless router. I have printer sharing turned on and I can print from my Macbook to it wirelessly; the PSC 1510 shows up just like a normal printer when I go to print something.

17. joemama thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the ideas, but I am definitely looking for a printer with wireless built in. From all of your posts here is a quick summary.

HP c7180 - This one received poor reviews on Cnet. Slow and poor quality.

Canon PIXMA MP530 - no networking

Canon PIXMA MP810 - no networking

Canon PIXMA MP830 - no networking

HP OfficeJet 7410 - must switch ink cartridges for text and graphics. blah.

Someone mentioned Brother and I came across this - what do you think?

Brother MFC-845CW - seems pretty good - and has a cordless phone and speakerphone.