Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xFerrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi

I've almost got a heart attack yesterday when I accidentally spilled LEMONADE (omg) on the top of my BrandNew MBA 11" 1.8ghz u.u... And now the battery and speakers stopped working... plus my keyboard is sticky ¬¬ because the sugar.

Which sites (instead ifixit, ebay, or amazon) are nice to check prices and get the parts?

I've made a budged to a local autorized server and the cost goes over $300 dollars for the Upper case part... (only that!)... so... any recommended site?

Thanks in advance :D

Ill keep GooOOOgLeing ^^

ferrr

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

iFixit is the only one I can think of that might have the part. It's possible that the keyboard is only available as part of the top assembly.

xFerrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

iFixit is the only one I can think of that might have the part. It's possible that the keyboard is only available as part of the top assembly.

Thanks... will keep searching then u.u

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Hi

I've almost got a heart attack yesterday when I accidentally spilled LEMONADE (omg) on the top of my BrandNew MBA 11" 1.8ghz u.u... And now the battery and speakers stopped working... plus my keyboard is sticky ¬¬ because the sugar.

Which sites (instead ifixit, ebay, or amazon) are nice to check prices and get the parts?

I've made a budged to a local autorized server and the cost goes over $300 dollars for the Upper case part... (only that!)... so... any recommended site?

Thanks in advance :D

Ill keep GooOOOgLeing ^^

ferrr

The problem you will find is the only parts will be OEM/Original Apple parts at a cost that is nearly what the Apple store will charge (less the labor).

I work for a parts company and everything we sell for MBP's, MBA's etc... are original Apple parts. We get a nice discount but for the end user it's nearly the same as the Apple store.

Personally, if you own a home and have it... file a claim with your homeowners insurance as I would take the machine to Apple and tell them what happened. It's not going to be a cheap fix when dealing with cleaning out a sugary mess like lemonade.

Best of luck, whichever way you go though.

brandon8u

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
My House
Watch out for further damages. You symptoms sound like a failing logic borad due liquid damage. I accidentally got less than an ounce of water on my mbp 15" (June 2011) and it destroyed the whole logic board. I had the same problems, speakers blew first, trackpad died, then battery died, and lastly the machine was un-bootable. The repairs cost over $800 with Apple. However, since the liquid was soo little and didn't make the liquid sensors go off, Apple repaired everything for a flat rate of $350.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.