Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Does anybody know if a good place to buy new (or possibly, refurbed :( ) LCD screens for the iBook?

I have an 800mhz G4 iBook that took a spill - screen is shattered, but the machine lives on. I have it hooked up to a CRT right now. Speaking of which, is there a way to run the iBooks with the lids down? It keeps going to sleep when I do that...

I remember seeing a website that offered pretty nice deals on these LCDs, but I have since misplaced the bookmark. I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on this repair. If I'm going to be spending a few hundred, I might as well shoot for the Mac Mini. But for now, I'd like to think I could repair this thing and save some cash.

Also, the CD-RW drive may have failed, and I'd like to get that replaced as well. Although, that's not exactly priority...

Please don't suggest ebay. That's the last resort...

Thanks.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I know it sounds bad, but in reality, you may be better off just getting a new ibook...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Search ebay and sorts or even put up an ad that you want to buy an iBook with a fried motherboard (not covered by motherboard replacing program) without the RAM, HD, etc. Shoudln't be too expensive.

If you cannot get one, and are still very annoyed with the open lid, closing it is a bad idea (even if it is possible, using the screen spanning hack) because a substantial part of the heat goes through the keyboard. You then might be better off removing the lid completely. ;)

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
You would be better off just getting a new iBook. The screens are too expensive to justify. The idea of buying a broken iBook is good: the only concern that I would have is that there are many screws and fragile parts and I also think it would be too time consuming to transfer your entire computer.. I think it would be cool though and way fun to transfer it, but that's just me.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
Well, that's useless...

I'm not interested in a new iBook. I have since gotten a new Powerbook. This thing is just sitting around, collecting dust. I'd like to still use it though (the more computers the better).

Is there a way to remove the screen entirely and only use an external monitor? I wouldn't mind doing that at all...

If not, I'd like to know exactly how to use it with the lid closed all of the time.

I could really care less if it's 'bad' for the unit because of the heat. If it breaks, it breaks, and I have three more computers to cover me. With the loss of the LCD, it has pretty much lost the resale value, so I'd rather just find a use for it.

So, I might not even bother putting in a new LCD - epsecially if there's a way for me to remove the power to the LCD (or, the screen + the casing all-together) and run it to an external without it freaking out.

If anybody has links to tutorials or anything, post them please.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
crachoar said:
Is there a way to remove the screen entirely and only use an external monitor? I wouldn't mind doing that at all...

With the loss of the LCD, it has pretty much lost the resale value, so I'd rather just find a use for it.

1. Get the take-apart instructions. Once you remove the screen, cover exposed areas liberally with duct tape.

2. You might be surprised. The hard drive, RAM, airport card, battery, and motherboard all hold quite a bit of value as does the case. Use your OS X installer disk to write 0s to the hard drive and sell it-- you can get quite a bit for it.

mian

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
Austin, TX
I've got a 12" ibook screen sitting around. My inlaws were using the ibook and their roof leaked and killed the motherboard :( . I took it apart to see if it could be saved. It was a dual usb 500 Mgz G3 ibook. The screen is in ok shape. Let me know if you have an interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.