Need a new battery?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jrr66, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jrr66 macrumors newbie

Hello

I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new battery for my computer or if something else (much more expensive) is wron.

It's a PowerBook G4--had it for a little over a year, so there's no good reason the battery should be fried, but no reason anything else should be either. What has happened is this: the battery does not charge. It's run all the way down now and I can only run using power cord. When plugged it, it does not charge up. The cord is fine. I have been told it could be the battery...or the motherboard, or the power something-or-other, or some other things. The odd thing is that when plugged in, the light around the end of the power cord is green, as if to indicate a full battery, rather than orange, like when it's recharging. So the cord can't tell that the battery is empty, whatever that means, but I tried another cord and the same problem occurred.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? What I'd like to do is make sure it's the battery, and that there's nothing I can do, before buying one. If something else is wrong, I'll just live with always being plugged in. I can't find anyone with a battery I can borrow and put in there to see if I can recharge it. That would be too EASY... I tried to sweettalk a guy at a computer store into doing that, but he said they didn't have any batteries (none in those display models, huh?) and tried to direct me to the customer service pay-100-bucks-just-to-have-us-look-at-it counter). He did have me try restarting it while holding down cntrl-opt-shift (resetting the "power manager," I believe), but all that accomplished was fouling up the date and time.

jrr66

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Looks like you got a desktop now. :p

Just kidding call apple.

P.S. You should have gotten Apple Care.

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I take it since they were going to charge you to look at it you don't have Applecare?
    If not then unfortunatly, short of getting a replacement battery and putting it in to see if it charges, there isn't really a surefire way to tell if it's the battery or the logic board. I used to be an Apple tech and I've seen the symptoms you describe several times. I've seen the cause be a dead battery, a bad Logic board, a bad Adaptor, a bad Power Management Board ( Can't remember if that's the exact term, but it a small board connected to the Logic board ). Sorry, I wish I could be of more help, here's hoping it's the battery.

4. jrr66 thread starter macrumors newbie

fingers crossed

Thanks for the posts. I'll just take a stab at a new battery and see what happens. I know I should have gotten Apple Care...but then again I've had such good luck with Apples, I've never bought it before, and never needed it. By now, I've saved enough money on not purchased extended warranties that I could buy a new computer with the savings. Or at least that how I justify it. ;)