need a new DVD player

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eva01, Oct 14, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

OK so i think my Toshiba DVD player of the past 5 years is dying. After watching my anime episodes it will go through 3-4 episodes fine and then it will start to stutter through and i have to shut it off and turn it back on after a while. So i think it is just failing at life.

I would be within a 400 dollar price range.

do not recommend anything Sony or i will hunt you down and cut your achilles.

The only exception to the price range is if there was a DVD player that could hold lets say 500-1000 DVDs at once and was easy to navigate to each disc.

So what do you people think is best.

and ah crap now i will have to reprogram my Universal Remote, does anyone know where i can find the codes for a yamaha remote for DVD players?

EDIT: Oh yes must have optical sound (don't know if new ones don't have these)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Check out the current range of Pioneer DVD players, see which is in your price range, just make sure it has progressive scan and you'll be fine. I doubt you'll find any without optical audio out, so that shouldn't be a problem. The Pioneer DVD-V5000 looks like it could be exactly what you want?

edit: Just did a quick price search on the DVD-V5000 USD$339

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_15020669_114963594,00.html

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....also have a look at the Yamaha S1500 - it's nice and slim, has the optical output, plays ntsc and pal and also plays dvd-a and sacd....and very inexpensive - can be had for under $200us....oh yeah!

4. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

this is the DVD player i saw at bestbuy that caught my eye a lot, because i do plan on getting an LG HD TV this summer

i am buying it tomorrow no matter what because i am always home due to my illness and can't go to school, but i do work at the hospital still. However when i am home i am always watching DVDs so i NEED one.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

What's wrong with Sony? I have three Sony DVD players (400 disc changer + DVP-S9000ES for home theatre, DVD/VHS combo player for bedroom) and they all work great.

6. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

i have owned like 7 sony products in my life and none have lasted more than 3 months

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Same all of my Sony products have been fantastic, but I'm in Australia maybe we only get a limited amount of (good) stuff here? Currently in my house I have a Sony HDTV LCD TV, Sony progressive scan DVD player, Sony HDTV set top box, a Sony VCR (which I don't use since I have an El Gato EyeHome/EyeTV setup) all of these work great. I've used Sony monitors pretty much since I got in to computers (I have an Apple Cinema Display now though), my TV before the Sony LCD was a Sony CRT, before I bought an iPod (or 3) I only used Sony portable audio. I've owned all 3 Sony gaming consoles. None of these have given me a single problem. I guess I'm just lucky?

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

The guy at Best buy told me that a DVD player will probably die out after 2-3years!!! :eek: What a great saleman :rolleyes:

edit- Oh and I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR (I no, I no, I still have a VCR ;) ) and its been great.

9. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Toshiba makes absolutely kick ass products and always have.

i never listen to salesmen ever.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says..yup...I've had my Toshiba 28" tv for 15 years now and its only ever needed one inexpensive repair...whenever I do decide to upgrade to something newer I will probably look at the new Toshiba stuff first....oh yeah!

11. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Ok i got my LG DVD player today, unfortunately my Yamaha Remote doesn't have a code for LG to control it. So i am buying a new Universal Remote.

I would like to have a touch screen but i really don't feel like spending in excess of 4-500 dollars for a Remote.

If you know of something that is good and is computer programmable i would just like your opinions on it.

What does everyone think of the Logitech Harmony series? they are mac compatible so i can still get online with the remote and download the codes (seeing as no one in this universe has any codes that i can tell for the LG DVD player) and it is reasonably cheap, the most expensive is 250.