Need a new mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Powerbook G5, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I know it's been done before, but I would like to ask for opinions on a mouse replacement for my 15" Powerbook. I have been thinking it'd be cool to have a multi-button mouse to map Exposé functions to, but that alone wasn't worth the cost to me. It wasn't until I got Age of Mythology that it seems to be necessary. Unfortunately, the game is really awesome but the port job is terrible. There is no one button mouse interface and the majority of commands require a right click and having to fumble around for the control button is too unfriendly. I could go on about the annoying issues I have found with the game, but I'll save that for another time. Here are the basic things I am looking for:

*Has to be bluetooth
    *Has to have multiple buttons
    *Has to have good drivers so I am not bothered with it only working partially like some devices that are "cross compatible" seem to be
    *Has to be cool

My preferences lean towards the Kensington Studio mouse, but unfortunately, it is RF instead of BT, which seems to defeat the point of "wireless". Any input is welcome (look at that, a pun).

2. niter macrumors 6502

I have read a lot of positive reviews for the Logitech new bluetooth mouse. It is chock full of buttons for any need. Also, several people have mentioned liking the microsoft bluetooth mouse, but it is pricey. I am interested in hearing more about the upcoming bluetooth version of the mac mouse. I am still "new" to the mac world (or newly returning) and I have heard some pretty odd comments on the maker of the last mouse but I have not heard whether or not the product is good. That mouse looks very much like the apple pro mouse.

I tend to like Microsofts mouse (gasp yes). The two mice I have owned from them have lasted me the last 8 years with no complaints. Windoze might suck, but the mice have done their job.

3. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

A few days ago I saw a Microsoft wireless mouse that had that rocking trackball that pivoted left and right, but I read every word of the package and could not find out if it was bluetooth or RF, it just didn't mention anything about it. On the package it said USB or PS/2 port was required, though, so I just assumed that it must have been RF since I can't see why USB would be needed for a wireless mouse. That's the problem I've found lately when looking at mice; they just don't explain very well on the packaging or they are RF. I thought bluetooth has been on the market for a number of years, but you wouldn't get the impression from the difficulty of finding anything bluetooth at the store.

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I think this is the main indication that it's RF. I've never seen a BT PS/2 adapter (doubt it could be made) but plenty of RF PS/2 ones.

5. shawnjackson macrumors newbie

6. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Does that work with the Mac? I looked at the Logitech website but it just mentions it working with Windows 2000/XP.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I know someone in the office at work who has one of the new G4 ibooks and he has got a Bluetooth Microsoft mouse, which he says works very well.

8. encro macrumors 6502

encro

It does work well indeed. Bluetooth, Optical, 5 buttons and a scroll wheel. Works without installing the drivers as well on Panther; What more could you ask for, it's a really comfy mouse.

9. robins2001 macrumors member

sorry to jump in your thred m8, i just have a question about current wireless mice...

are bluetooth mice alot better than the rf ones? i had an old rf logitech wireless which was horible, is was dead laggy on the screen...

i am lookin for a deacent mouse but i was gonna get an optical wired one because i thought that wireless mice wernt as good..is this not the case with new ones?

cheers

10. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've heard the new ones are a lot faster now and BT is better than RF because it is truly wireless without having to plug in a bulky RF device to use the mouse.

The only thing holding me back from considering MS mice is the fact that the guy at CompUSA said he's had a lot of people return the model that they sell due to a high number of kernal panics and system hangs after using it. He said even the Windows systems that they used it with got quite a few fatal exception errors because of the mouse. I just want the thing to work when I turn it on because if I pay $70-100 for a mouse I would expect for it to be worth that high cost.

11. thekaiser macrumors member

Belkin finally released their mouse after such a long time of saying, "coming soon." I too am looking to buy, but cannot make up my mind as to which one to buy. I would look into the Belkin. They actually mention it being compatible with the mac. The only thing that stinks is a lot of manufacturers add the bluetooth adapter. It is an extra cost that is not needed for those of us with built in bluetooth.

Belkin Mouse

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I just realized you said "PS/2" not "USB". :) I was going to point out that all of the Bluetooth mice come with a USB receiver of some sort or other, since most personal computers don't (yet?) come with built-in Bluetooth.

I like my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse quite a bit. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have an "off" switch. They say they have "advanced power saving technology" built in, but the batteries only last a month to a month and a half. (not bad, but not what they advertise)

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i like the feel of the wireless studio mouse from kensington, but it's RF. if they made a bluetooth version, i would want it so much.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've been using the MS bluetooth mouse to play Quake 3 on my powerbook, and have found it to be very responsive, in fact I've had to turn the sensitivity down in the game.

The only delay you'll see is if you don't use the mouse for several minutes, it will kick into a powersave mode. Next time you will use it it will take ~ 1 sec to respond.

15. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and have never had a problem.

10.3.1 and 10.3.2 using Apple's current bluetooth drivers, I think it's the same powerbook as yours (ALPB 15")

The first two buttons and the scrollwheel work exactly as you would expect.

Buttons 4 and 5 work on expose, and are mappable inside applications that recognize multiple buttons (e.g. games :)) but as has been hashed out before the software that allows you to map extra functions, like forward and back in browsers, has not been ported yet.

Of course YMMV

16. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's one thing that I have been a bit unsure of as well, since there is no documentation I can find generally saying that you can use all the buttons on some of those multi-button mice and it'd be a shame to spend the big bucks for a 7 button mouse and only be able to use 3 of its buttons.

17. johnnowak macrumors 6502

The scroll pad on the kensington is worthless, and its much lighter and cheaper feeling than the pro mouse. I myself love the kensington pro trackball black thingy, if you wanna go that way. I use that and an apple mouse, alternated to help avoid RSI-related issues.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, agreed. I hate to praise MS for anything, but I got their bluetooth mouse for christmas, and I've really loved it so far. The only thing about it is that it has no off switch - but it goes to a low power mode when not in use, so the batteries can last for months.

19. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Do the Microsoft Bluetooth mice have to say bluetooth on the packaging? I have had the experience that Microsoft does not provide specific details on their packaging so when they say "wireless" I can never tell what kind of wireless they are referring to.

20. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yes it does say Bluetooth

Attached Files:

21. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yes, make absolutely sure it says bluetooth on the package.

MS has done this really scummy thing where they are selling a wireless "Blue" mouse, which is you buy it you will discover is a regular RF mouse that is painted blue. If there's nothing on the package indicating technology, odds are it is that one.

22. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If I remember correctly the box says "Bluetooth Intellimouse Explorer". You have to check that it says "Bluetooth" because MS has a non-Bluetooth "Intellimouse Explorer" as well. You can buy the BT mouse separately or in a package with their BT keyboard.

I would think since Expose can see buttons four and five that any game that can use multiple mouse buttons should also see those buttons.