Need a New Phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Feb 23, 2007.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Yup... it happeend; my Sidekick broke the other day. And I now need a new phone. But I'm not sure what to get. Can someone give me a phone/plan suggestion? Here are my requirements:

Phone:
    QWERTY keyboad
    Fully-functional web browsing
    Bluetooth
    and possibly the ability to be used as a modem for my MacBook

Plan:
    T-Mobile or Cingular
    UNLIMITED INSTANT MESSENGING
    Basic E-Mail
    Basic Phone-capabilities
    A plan that doesn't charge by how much data your phone is requesting
    (i.e. you go to a site with 1,000 pictures on one page and get charged $15,000)
    No plan that adds up anything over $60

I've been thinking either a blackberry, treo maybe the Sidekick 3 or something along those lines.

Any ideas would be appreciated, even if they don't meet the aforementioned criteria. Thanks.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you have the money use a cheap phone for now and then upgrade to the iPhone when it ships.

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Go with T-MOBILE & a Sidekick 3...
    Sounds like what you need it for.

4. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

Do you know if the iPhone will have an iChat-like instant messenger through which you can connect with an AOL screen name?

5. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

It probably will.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Irain, I am actually looking to sell a Nokia 9300 communicator, which is a pretty cool phone and sounds like it is right in line with what you are looking for. It is brand new, never even opened. It is going for around $250-$350 last time I checked online. it's a great phone, but I just have no use for it now that I my work provides me all the phone gadgets I could ever want. I am looking to sell it for around $195, but am pretty open to talking about options, though that is pretty close to the lowest I would go. If you are interested let me know.

8. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I would go for the Sidekick 3. I love mine. The interface is somewhat improved, the EDGE makes it faster, and you can now save your address book to your SIM (but it's manual, so it takes a while.)

Some great phones are coming to T-Mobile like the BB8800 (which I believe theirs will have a camera) and a stripped-down Sidekick, although nobody knows what it will feature.

SK is best for you. Unlimited web + text + email + IM = $20.00.
    Blackberry: Unlimited web + email = $20.00.
    Windows Mobile Devices (MDA, SDA, Dash): Unlimited web + email = $30.00. :eek: