Need a new printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ltsulu, May 11, 2005.

1. ltsulu macrumors newbie

May 8, 2005
    I need a new printer. I print a lot of color pictures, photos. Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!
  2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    First of all, what's your budget?

Not knowing that, take a look at these suggestions:

1. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 (review) is awesome. It uses Epson's UltraChrome ink and is an 8 color printer. Exceptionally good quality pictures, but at $400 it's out of most peoples budget.

2. A less expensive Epson is the Stylus R300 (review) which usually retails for $150. It's a 6 color printer and again awesome print quality for day to day stuff as well as pictures.

3. The Canon Pixma iP 4000 and Pixma iP 5000 are also solid printers with inexpensive cartridges. The main differences between the two is that the iP 5000 has a higher resolution (9600 x 2400 vs. 4800 x 1200 for the iP4000) and smaller ink drop size (1 picoliter vs. as small as 2 picoliter for the iP4000).
  3. monty77 macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2005
    UK, South Coast
    I have a Canon iP5000 - fantastic printer! Good Apple support too...

I particuarly like the direct to CD printing but I did read somewhere that the US models dont have this function !?!?

4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I second the Canon printers. I have an i960 that gives stunning results. Easy on the ink, too.
  5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    I have the same as iGary (i960 Canon) very nice pictures, quick and pretty quiet :p
  6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    R800 gets my vote. Ok it is expensive but the inks are cheap and last over 6-12 months with heavy use. The gloss gives teh prints such a cool look.
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Do all these play well with Airport Express?

Or only for printing to paper (not discs)...
  8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    The Canon i960 I have using my AE and it prints great for photos, text and so on. I'm not sure what the newer model # is but, anyone outside the US has a better choice since you can get a Canon that prints to dvds/cds as well. I have an Epson R300 for that reason (cd/dvd printing) wish I could only have "one" printer :cool:
  9. yarngrrl macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I would also recommend the Epson R300 or R320 - they deliver excellent quality and are also very well made for the price. I also like the fact that their color cartridges are split out (CMYK, I believe?) and they have pretty good ink usage.

I would avoid the HPs these days. They used to make nice consumer printers and scanners, imho, but seems like since they merged with Compaq (may be related, or may just be matter of circumstance), their quality has tanked. Everything feels very cheap and clunky. Plus, they have new smaller ink cartridges that seem like they're half the size of the ones on their older models, yet they cost 2/3 as much. So, you end up dropping twenty bucks on ink seemingly constantly. :mad: I have no idea if their commercial / officejet products have also suffered.
    ~~off soapbox~~