need a new secound Mac..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kksolano, May 2, 2006.

1. kksolano macrumors member

kksolano

i have a iMac 20" intel & LOVING IT!!! :D
    i need a secound mac for doing stuff out & about.. was thinking about the 12" G4.. The small little thing looks ultra portable. Or should i wait for the new macBooks coming out sooner rather then later!? but when those babies come out, the older 12" G4 should be Cheep! decisions, decisions, decisions..
    What do you guys think?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The price of PowerBooks didn't drop at all after the MBP's came out... so I wouldn't count too heavily on that.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you want it NOW, I would think a 12" iBook is much better value for money. It also matches your iMac better than a PowerBook would... ;)

I have an old 12" iBook G4@800 as my only machine at the moment and they are reliable, durable little workhorses... highly recommended...

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Agreed on the G4 ibook. I have a 1gig 14.1" and I absolutely love it...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'll dissent and suggest you wait for the MacBook, or buy an older/used 12" iBook. I would not buy a new G4 system at this point in time unless I expected to use it for about a year.

While I love my 14" iBook G4, it feels sluggish compared to my 17" iMac, and the difference would be larger to the 20". Fine for simple web browsing, but even iPhoto is MUCH peppier on the iMac, even though it has less total RAM.

B

6. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Don't we all need a new second Mac? Apple should just offer them "buy one, get one free." (Of equal or lesser value.)

Any takers?

Daniel.

7. kksolano thread starter macrumors member

kksolano

cheeper G4 Laptops? (secound hand)

when the new MacBooks come out sometime soon, will the the older g4 laptops get really cheep secound hand with everyone wanting to upgrade!?
    Will that be worth it? or will the new MacBooks be sooo much better then the older g4 laptops?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Probably not. Just look at the prices of the newer PowerBooks..
    2) Is shackling yourself to depricated technology ever worth it?

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Check Apple's refurbished section each morning. Sometimes that 1.2Ghz 12" ibook comes up for $699. If you can get your hands on a $30 coupon, you are looking at $669, plus tax. I'm guessing that this will be about $500 less than the cheapest MacBook.