Need a new (wired) mouse.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samanthas, Feb 12, 2007.

1. samanthas macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a new mouse. I currently have the Logitech MX610 wireless laser mouse and would like a wired--the having to change the batteries on the MX610 is annoying. It's a little on the heavy side as well. Also, it can be on the jumpy side sometimes (low batteries?)

I was just wanted some suggestions. I'm no gamer, but I spend a lot of time on the computer and would like a good mouse that isn't jumpy. I was looking at the Logitech MX400 (laser), Logitech G3 (laser--don't need the G5) and (optical) MX518. Any other mouse recommendations (different brands?)

Thank you. :)

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

apple mighty mouse wired, it is relatively light, optical as well, i have one at the moment and it has been working fine since i have had it.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If you have $100 to spend on your mouse, you might want to try the Kensington ExpertMouse. I've had mine for four or five years. Being able to customize the buttons and chords of buttons, and the scroll ring are both really awesome. And I've heard that trackballs are better for your hands.

I swear I'm not an advertisement!

4. nplima macrumors 6502a

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My mighty mouse has worked fine once I learned how to clean the track ball.

I don't use horizontal scrolling much, though, and the tiny ball eventually gets tiring on my fingertip. I think I'd prefer a mouse with a unidirectional scroll wheel. Also, the right-clicking is unreliable. A lot of mac users like the Microsoft mouse.

6. samanthas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Mighty Mouse is out. I still have the one that came with my iMac.

I'm not really familar with trackballs. :eek: I'd have to check one out in the store first.

I'm seriously considering the MX518 now. Can anyone with this mouse give some opinions?

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

i dont think that you should get a trackball mouse. the laser and optical mouses are the best at the moment, this mouse is quite popular at the moment "Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 4 Button Ps2 Usb". the MX518 is a very nice mouse as well my friend has one and it has never gone wrong.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've had an MX Revolution (cordless) mouse for a few months now - it has been a lot nicer than I expected. My only gripe is the fat butt it has (shelf below your thumb is a bit wide)

Holds a charge for a couple weeks at a time - and is rechargable. I like it, because the thumb-wheel has all the expose' buttons mapped to it.

If only OSX supported the "back" button on the mouse.

The tracking is very reliable - far more than my previous mice, and I have yet to notice any lag or sleep issues.

I think they can be had for the 50 dollar range (on techbargains or newegg)

9. jamesgatz macrumors newbie

logitech mx510

is by far the best wired mouse i have ever used. it is simply amazing in its precision, reliability, comfort (for right hand use), and button layout. use it with usb overdrive (www.usboverdrive.com) and you have the perfect input device.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a Logitech MX518 and loved it, but took it back to get a G5 ($38 from Amazon at the time) and have been very pleased with it. I like the feel of the mouse better than the smooth finish of the MX518 (it made my hand sweaty), but miss the extra buttons. I use USB Overdrive to configure all of the buttons on the mouse, and it works great. I don't use the DPI setting capability of the mouse, but leave it at moderate.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I use it w/ my iMac. Love love love it. My ex had the MX510 and while I'm no gamer, I preferred the feel and extra buttons (and better sensitivity) of my MX518. Liked the way his looked more, but hey, you're not looking at the mouse, you're using it right? :p

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've got this mouse and I love it. First of all it looks cool- I get people asking about it all the time. Or, more irritatingly, trying to touch it to see what it is made out of. There are probably the same people who ask fat people "is it a boy or a girl?"

Anyway, it works quite well, and while the two thumb buttons don't work in OS X (to my knowledge), they do work in OS X programs , eg WoW. And, if you dual boot, it comes with windows software. It is very accurate and has 3 sensativity settings, buttons built right into the mouse (and they work in OS X) so I can change as what I am doing demands. It also fits the hand well and is light, although since it was intended for a desktop, if you plan on ever using it with a laptop, you may find that the cord is too long.

All around it is a great mouse, and I recomend it.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Microsoft Optical Scrollmouse, or Intellimouse optical. $24 (US$20).
    Reliable, cheap, way easier for me to control than the MightyMouse.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mine works w/out drivers or whatnot. At least, for Exposé.

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I have a Logitech G5, there's no complaints here :D

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Unless you're using it with a laptop, the solution isn't a wired mouse, the solution is a mouse with a docking station.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I use the Logitech MX310. Got it from Newegg for about $20 on sale. Best mouse I've ever owned, and I've used quite a few. They make OS X software for it, so you can program the back and forward buttons. I use the extra button for Dashboard. Wish they made an ambidextrous G5 or MX510/518 with corresponding software, since I tend to switch hands a lot, but I can settle for only 6 buttons, and the accuracy is alright.

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Serious look into a Razer Pro Solutions 1.6. It beats a Logitech no doubt about it!