Need a phone for wireless internet on MacBook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Machead III, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Hey guys,

I currently have an Intel iMac and a Nokia N70. I got the N70 to check email, browse the web etc. while travelling, but as I am going to be travelling a lot more in the future, I'm gonna sell my iMac on eBay which should hopefully raise enough to break even on a new MacBook (waiting for C2D).

This means I no longer need a smartphone, so I'm thinking of downgrading from my N70 to a cheaper, sleeker phone that I can also use as a bluetooth modem for my MacBook.

Any suggestions? I like the design of the PEBL and SLVRs, but I haven't heard many good things about their compatiblity as a blueooth modem with Macs.

2. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I still have a brick smartphone. When I hand it to people their faces warp in a mixture of nostalgia and pity. They say 'how old is this?' and are genuinely taken aback when I say it came out this year.

I don't necessarily feel the burning desire to creak open the laptop when I need to check something. I suppose it depends on your priorities.

Personally I'm a big fan of Sony Ericsson phones. Any of the current candybar-shaped models would be a decent choice to use as a GPRS modem. No experience at all of recent Motorola phones (I think the last one I had was a StarTAC, no kidding) so someone else will have to answer that one.

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

It's not that I don't have one, it's that I'm so sick of them:rolleyes: They always get stolen, and are so common, not to mention the quality of some cellphones. I think they will eventually become disposable they are becoming so cheap:rolleyes:

Anyway, why don't you check Apple's iSync devices page. It gives a list of most phones compatible with OSX;)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've had multiple Motorola's work fine. You just have to make sure you use Ross Barkman's GPRS scripts instead of the built-in modem scripts.

I also use a Nokia smart phone. (Currently an N-Gage, will be upgrading to an N80 soon.) I use T-Mobile in the U.S.

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

What phone is it?

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I can never remember the model number. It's the smaller Nokia clamshell smartphone without the camera.

8. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

iSync compatibility doesn't necessarily mean bluetooth modem functionality. But I'll check out that Ross Barkman link to see what might suit me from those.

I read that the Moto L7 was the "world's most Mac friendly mobile", so I guess that will suit my modem needs, though I'd rather a PEBL, but so far I have heard of no successful attempts to use that as a modem.

Question: if I get an EDGE compatible phone, will I be able to browse at 3G speeds?

On second though, being as I'll be in tropical Africa, I'd better get used to ~kbps ;)

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Noooooo!!! EDGE is only really used in North America on their small number of GPRS service providers (e.g. T-Mobile as T-Mobile is European.)

In Europe they are skipping from 2.5g (GPRS) all the way upto UTMS (3G)

Motorolas are amoungst the buggiest phones available!! I've had a few Razrs and the L7 and they are crap. If you are travelling around get a Nokia, they are generally the better for stability and signal (except the Symbian Smart Phones).

Ericsson phones are okay I have the K800i with 3G which works great but can be a bit tempremental with Mac's (this is sony after all ;) )

GSM will be slow on modem, it will seem unbearable at times if you can get into a 3G area then i'd say get a 3G phone.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

They already are. To that point, every time my Australian friend (living in the USA) goes home to see his mother, she just reaches into the mobile phone drawer, pulls out any old GSM unit that she or her husband has moved on from, and he trots down to the petrol station for a local pay as you go simm.

The only sad thing is that he hasn't caught up with his mum. His phone in the USA is both CDMA and locked. Go figure.

11. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Yeah, here in Europe 3G is pretty much a standard, and I'd never heard of EDGE, so I guess that's why.

The thought of 3G speeds on my lappy are nice, but when I think about it, even in the unlikely event I'll be somewhere with 3G coverage (I imagine 99% of Africa is firmly 2G), it's still very expensive.

I'm looking at launch2net's list of compatible phones.

I've almost settled on the Sony Ericsson W300i. It has bluetooth and is compatible as a modem, is Euro Triband so works anywhere in Africa, it's small, cheap and hey, it has EDGE too.

Does anyone know if the Sony Ericsson K510i works as a bluetooth modem with Macs?

12. Hannah statia macrumors newbie

Nokia c3-00

Hi all
    I am admittedly not very technical but have been trying to connect my new nokia c3-00 to my macbook to get internet. Reason for this is i live on a tiny island and the local internet firm has run ou t of wireless boxes, so this is my only hope. Therefore I do not have AT&T or any other such big provider.

I managed to pair the devices reasonably ok, however when i try to connect from the nokia it says "service not supported by other device", but when i click 'connect to device' on the mac they do connect via Bluetooth.

next I click 'configure device' but almost immediately the bluetooth disconnects and it gives an error message.

Can anyone please take me through the process in dumbed down language?
    Thanks in advance,
    Hannah