Need a poster making program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PkennethV, Aug 16, 2006.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a program that would be more flexible with making posters than MS Word, but some thing not a complicated/detailed as the Adobe programs. The main reason being that I would need to make many posters and don't have the time to be using the Adobe programs.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In that case and if you have Office, some have suggested using Powerpoint in the past which works surprisingly well for simple and effective posters.

Depends on how you're going to print it...

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Pages springs to mind. It's much easier to move elements with graphics and text around than in Word.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'll throw in a vote for Pages as well. Certainly better than Word and much cheaper than anything from Adobe. Some of the poster templates are pretty decent too.

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've used PowerPoint on my PC at work for posters and it's been surprisingly good - dead easy certainly. I expect it would be even nicer using the mac version.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Uh, why not InDesign? That is if your familiar with Adobe programs.

7. kygeographer macrumors member

I've used PowerPoint for making posters for academic presentations with very good luck.

However, if you choose to go this route, plenty of RAM is essential, depending on how big the poster is.. PowerPoint can be a memory hog!

8. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'll give PowerPoint a try. I didn't think of the idea at first because I was assuming that it would be the same as Word. But now that you mention it, it makes sense that it would be better for making posters. Pages might be better, but I think (for now anyways) I'll go for the free alternative:)