Need a PowerBook G4 by June

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SwitchHitter, Mar 8, 2004.

1. SwitchHitter macrumors member

Hi folks,

I've read the postings and threads here about buying now vs later - my question: I need a PowerBook G4 by June 1, so...

1. Should I buy now or wait until May? I don't need it now, I have an iMac and also a Dell laptop (new).

2. Should I buy new, eBay or refurbished? I would prefer to spend around $1.5K give/take and use the laptop for 2-4 years. I am going to use it primarily (almost exclusively) for Photoshop CS and other photography workflow purposes. So, in other words, if a current/used/refurbished Powerbook will work well and provide the speed that's great.

3. What I like about used/refurbished is that I'm not paying the first year depreciation (I hope). Again, this computer will be secondary...actually 3rd in the house. I just need it for a photography class primarily.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

1) Buy it when you need it. Having it around when you don't need it is like throwing money away.

2) Ebay's full of scams, stay clear. For $1.5K you're not gonna get a new PB. You can try refurb, but it'll still be pretty pricey. Wait until June and maybe you'll see something you can afford.

3) FYI, Macs don't depreciate as fast/much as PCs, so you'll still be paying a premium if the owner doesn't abuse it.

3. SwitchHitter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Regarding eBay... and scams.. I agree. A few questions:
    1. Why doesn't eBay get rid of the scammers?
    2. How do legit people sell their used Powerbooks?
    3. Where's the best place to go buy refurbished, without paying the taxes at Apple?
    4. Should I buy the Aluminum or Titanium version?
    5. How much Ram do I need for photography/Adobe Photoshop CS?

thanks.

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Wait just a minute...

Oh please. For you to make that claim is proof that you have no experience with eBay. And you shouldn't lead people in the wrong direction if you don't know what you're talking about.

I've been using eBay for many years and I'll start by saying it's a great resource for used or new Macs. There are many PowerBook G4s up for auction, and it's easy to save at least a couple of hundred dollars (especially since you won't be paying for tax). I recommend that you search for the PowerBook you want (i.e. 15" PowerBook G4) and then go through all of the listings and "watch" the ones that interest you in terms of specs/condition. Then wait for a good deal to come along and place a high bid in the last few minutes of the auction. It's that easy!

I think it's something like 99% of eBay auctions are conducted without any problems. It's very easy to avoid obvious scams by following these rules. One, look at feedback. If the seller has a star by their name (at least 10 transactions) with 95-100% positive feedback rating, you are probably safe. You should also email the seller and ask a question, and if you are really paranoid :p you could ask for their phone number to speak with them directly. Typically, they won't mind. You could also pay for an escrow service, but personally I think that's unnecessary and a waste of money.

Use common sense. DON'T ever send money using Western Union or to a foreign country. Also, if no one else is bidding on an auction, you probably shouldn't either (i.e. Don't look at a new PowerBook for $500 and say to yourself, "Wow, I can't believe no one else has seen this, I better buy it right away!"). If you use a single credit card with PayPal, they offer buyer protection, and your credit card company can also reverse a payment if you think you've been scammed.

With all that in mind, you probably won't find a recent PowerBook on eBay for $1500 (for the AlBooks, probably closer to $1800-$2000). You should either consider an older TiBook (800 or 867 MHz, like this one) or a 12-inch PowerBook. That's all the advice I have.

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

jamdr got it exactly right. basically, don't be a stupid buyer. do your homework on ebay.

i personally am a big fan of apple refurbs. pretty good deals and you ensure a basically new product with a warrenty. whatever u get, just up the ram to at least a gig.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just a reminder that if you need ("NEED") a machine by a certain date, allow at least a week (or more) for shipping, etc. and if you don't need it now, then why not wait... availability of an updated machine can vary so that's something else to keep in mind. (ex. if PB gets updated in mid-May, they may not become available in time for your deadline...) i'd order by beginning of May, personally.