Need a pro quality dv camcorder

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by treck, Jul 13, 2005.

1. treck macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2005
    Thomasville, GA
    A friend of mine and I are getting ready to do a tech web show similar to Command-N, Systm, The Broken, and the original The Screen Savers. I'm looking for a dv camcorder under two grand and something similar to the Sony Handycams but I'm not liking Sony's products at the moment. Do any of you have suggestions, or good deals on the net? Please let me know.
  2. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Systm uses the Panasonic 100A, but that comes in at about $3,000.

The Canon GL2 is a nice camera and you can get it at B&H for $2,000.

or, looked for used....
  3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I second the GL2. I've used one and was VERY impressed with the quality.
  4. 4God macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
  5. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  6. DisFrikkenWill macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005

i have a sony vx1000 the 1st miniDV camera ever and when it 1st can out it was selling for $3000+ pm somthing like that,till now these cameras are side to side with the cameras of today and you can get one used for $1200+(THERES NO SUCH THING AS A NEW VX1000 as these are like 7 years old)the quality of this camera has crisp video, tends to get very good colors, and has good audio, thats why i have one.if you dont want that either get a sony pd150 for like $1900 or a TRV950. its good to go with sony and panasonic, i had lots of problems with canons, my frend has a GL2 and had head problems,audio problems and such. but if you wanna get a canon get it, NEVER GET A JVC,SAMSUNG, OR other brands. try get a 3ccd camera either from Sony,Panasonic or Canon
  7. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    I can recommend the VX1000 too. Not so good in low light but a great camera as the above post has paid.

Pretty much, you cna't go wrong with Sony and Canon when it comes to the 3 chippers.
  8. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    You could wait for the new Hi-Def camcorder coming out for $1999, but it's a Sony. Don't know what you have against them, but it's supposed to be pretty good for a 1CCD camera. Only down side is a bottom loading tape mechanism. Looks pretty good though otherwise. Should be out by late July.
  9. AppleVideoPro macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    Get the GL2

I've worked with the Canon Gl2 for many years and have to recommend it. I am still amazed by the quality of this cam. It's probably around $2000 now.
  10. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Are you talking of the Sony HC1? There's some actual video footage shot with it floating around the net from this 1-chip wonder.

If you know and use BitTorrrent, you can download it here:

Sony HC1 .m2t footage zipped for your pleasure
  11. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I'm very happy to read this thread...I just ordered two GL-2's for work and was wondering if I made the right choice. I just got them today actually, haven't even used them yet. Can't wait to try them now!
  12. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    by many years, do you mean like 1 year? Maybe you mean the GL-1?

;) :D
  13. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    they are awsome, I have used the schools for over a year now. As long as you do color correction in post it will jump out at you its so good.
  14. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005