Need a replacement monitor similar to ACD 23

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neonguy, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, Apple Display is beautiful and very crisp. But I can't stand the ACD 23 anymore. I must've gone through 4 already and they all have those white light bleed, my 4th one have a pink hue. I got tired and decided to return my 23 ACD. I have to pay $99 restocking fees, because they denied pink hue is not a defect and can be calibrate over time. Such BS!:mad:

So what can I get with $900 LCD that is similiar to the Apple?

Thank You

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

There's always the Dell 2407. I just picked one up and I'm thrilled with it. It's a 24" widescreen. I haven't really spent enough time with it to speak to the color, but I'm sure others will be able to.

Edit: Check out http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/reviews/monitorcalibrator/index.php. Maybe a color calibrator is really what you need.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Second this recommendation. My 24" is great. It's the last revision (A03), so no problems whatsoever. With a coupon, I got mine for $670 shipped from Dell.. you'd even save money!

4. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, the Dell front look nice but the back look very ugly! It doesn't matter though if it's a good LCD. Does it have white backlight bleed or discoloration like the 23 ACD?

5. Carguy172 macrumors member

It has no problems its crisp clear and gorges its color accuracy is stunning it has great responsiveness.

6. itzfreak macrumors newbie

Hp Lp2465

hi neonguy

well ... i'd say the dell is very good if you need connectivity in a display. quality-wise it's probably not the perfect match. i'd go with the HP. it's also a 24" display and has roughly the same specs as the dell. its display-quality is generally regarded to be higher though. check this out:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123726/article.html

pricing is at 799$ (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/382087-64283-444767-72270-444767.html)

i work with it at uni (connected to a G5). it works perfect and looks almost like an ACD.

7. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

thanks for the advice...i hope to replace my current 21" crt this fall with a lcd to match my powermaac g5. thanks for the advice

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

By who is the HP "generally regarded to be higher"? Even the link you posted to ranked the Dell as better. Generally speaking, it's my understanding that the Dell monitors and the Apple monitors are considered the best of the best.

Engadget
    AnandTech

9. itzfreak macrumors newbie

as i said, in terms of connectivity i'd go with a dell, too. but not if it comes down to display quality. on the page i referred to they rank the overall score (including connectivity). the dell is better there. in terms of quality (that's if you go and click on the displays under "performance"), the HP scores slightly (granted, very slightly) higher than the dell. add to this that some find the HP aesthetically nicer it's the best if you need quality.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I guess we'll agree to disagree. ;)

11. itzfreak macrumors newbie

let's do that, cuz to be honest: who notes the difference anyways? ;)

12. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

People who use DELL LCD. Does it have that white light bleed when you watching movie on a black background. The Apple one bother me because the white light bleed is very unconsistan and you notice it's alway there.

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Mine doesn't, from what I can tell.

14. l4t13 macrumors regular

15. Carguy172 macrumors member

No they dell doesn't have the bleed I just watched a movie on it. It looks fantastic.

16. rob5 macrumors regular