need a simple drawing app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackc, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Anyone know of an app for drawing relatively simple graphs, like supply and demand graphs for economics? I've tried doing them in Word, but it's a pain. There must be an easy way out there somewhere. I don't know if Appleworks would be good, but I don't really want to buy it as I don't need most of its functions. I've played around with Omnigraffle, but I don't think that's the type of thing it's made for.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Why not just put the data in excel and make a graph that way?

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I just finished an economics assignment this morning (thank goodness!). I ended up having to draw about 20 supply/demand graphs (ugh) and I found it easiest to do it in Illustrator. If you don't have Illustrator and few people I know just did the graphs in Paint (on Windows). Poster Paint is a good alternative for Mac.

Don't try doing s/d graphs in word or excel - the auto-shapes aren't flexible enough when you want to move things around - it ends up being a nightmare.

4. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Since you're doing small graphs with small amounts of data (I'm assuming), Pages (from iWork, '05 or '06 will be fine) lets you enter data and then it graphs it for you, but not to the extent of Excel or any other hardcore spreadsheet program.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Simple supply/demand graphs usually don't have data assigned to them - they're just a way of representing/modelling a market and effects on it.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sorry. I'm more of an Operations Management slash Information System guy. I deal with a lot of statistics. I can't say I've ever made a graph without having data. Good luck with that. :p

7. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

No, max_altitude is right. Supply/demand economics is mostly about the movement of the graphs based upon whatever happens in the market.

Now that I think about it, Appleworks should be just fine. I just threw this little thing together; hope you like it.

EDIT The bottom line in the graph didn't come through in the .jpg conversion; c'est la vie.

Attached Files:

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I know what you mean. When I first started doing economics, it was very confusing. They can have data, but generally the questions you get asked to work out with them are sort of theoretical so then you can later apply the theory to working things out for real. For example:

View attachment 44064

It's much easier just to draw them.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I didn't say Max was wrong. I was just pointing out that I never dealt with supply and demand graphs and I find it funny to work with a graph without data.

10. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Gotcha; sorry for the misperception.

Max_altitude, that is a nice graph. Did you use Illustrator to do it? I do agree, however, that hand-drawn is easiest and best.

I hate(d) Economics.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah I used Illustrator. I was thinking about hand-drawing then scanning, but it's much easier to muck around with things in Illustrator to get the desired effect.