Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papaslides

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution to my problem. I have a logitech ultrathin keyboard, and use my iPad 2 outside frequently. This means I want to have a real back cover (not just a skin) but all covers need to be removed to use with my ultrathin keyboard.

What I need is some kind of smart cover compatible back case that has a hinge somewhere so that you can expose the magnetic spine of the iPad. I have found such a case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00
the only problem is that the case has a built in cover, so now the smart cover cannot be carried as a single unit with the ipad. My thought was to cut out the cover and sand down the spine of the case, but there are magnets in the case to hold down that side, so it cannot be sanded down far enough to free up the space for the smart cover to fit.

This means I need to find a traditional one piece smart cover compatible back case that has a crease/hinge somewhere, or find some way to make one.

Thoughts, suggestions, links?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The link you posted doesn't seem to work.

Haven't ever tried this myself, but have you considered the smart feather or the caudabe shell? Both are pretty thin.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
try this link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UH7974/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I'm looking for the same type of thing to be used with Zagg's proplus keyboard. will update if I find anything...

I'm looking at a Zagg Pro Plus my self, but how about using the iPad/Zagg in addition to a sleeve of some sort, where there is space for all of it?

handmade_merino_wool_felt_ipad_sleeve_1.jpg

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Back protection with hinged keyboard

Zagg LeatherSkins are a little beefier than standard skins. I started out with a matching navy leather skin to go with the Apple leather cover. It works with both the Ultrathin and Zagg Pro Plus. I found a Zagg iPad 1 leather skin which has no holes or cutouts and put that on my Zagg keyboard back.

Unfortunately Apple did not have a Smart Cover for the iPad 1 so the only options Zagg had was in black and brown. I now have the iPad 2 with a navy leather skin and the keyboard with a black leather skin, so am not color coordinated, LOL!

You're could be color coordinated in black though. Hope this helps.

Now that I have a mini, am looking for a similar setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.