Need a suggestion on a resent sale

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reflow, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I just bought a PB from a member here that is a newbie and everything went well until I got the PB which it had a dent near the firewire port. Now before anything was talked about I asked him for some pictures of it and I looked at them and saw no dent on it. I did pay him with PP and I also said I would include a firewire drive in the deal and would ship when I got the PB. Do you think I should send him the drive? Even though he did not tell me about the dent and the missing restore disks he a said he would include.

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I would talk with them first. Then ask our opinion of what to do.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

There is a reason why you have to have 100 post before you can sell stuff in the marketplace.

Don't give him the drive.
    Not yet anyway.
    See if he has an explanation first.

4. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well he did say that he never know about it. So it sounds fishy. So what do you think I should do?

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Discuss it with him. I recommend the Paypal dispute method. It pisses people off but it gets there attention.

It doesnt harm them in anyway, it just allows paypal to have a record of the proceedings in case there is a problem.

If he gives you trouble escalate it to a claim. If you work something out simply close the dispute.

Explain to him what it is for in the first message so he knows what is happening.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Was the packaging in good shape?

7. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

I guess I will just hold on to the drive until I hear for him

8. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

He had it doubled packed with no marks on the box

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yeah it sounds like it was that way from the start, or he did it will boxing it up.

Ask him to get you the reinstall disks. If he can't then ask for some money back on the sale for the dent and the disks. Once that is done. Send him the drive.

10. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yea that sounds like a plan. But I'm still stuck with a PB with a dent on it which I never know about. I mean I paid a lot of money for this. I just half tempted to keep the drive and leave it at that.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The seller did not represent the item as "new", 'Like New" or "flawless", did they? It was clear it was a used machine?

Two possibilities.

1) The dent was there in the photos; you didn't see it, and accepted the deal as presented. Assuming the seller did not intentionally hide the dent, and that the dent is cosmetic and doesn't interfere with operation, this is your oversight. You should keep your end of the bargain.

2) The dent was not there when the seller shipped it, but was damaged in shipping. Regrettable, difficult to prove to the shipping company, virtually impossible to collect on, and assuming it was adequately packaged, then NOT the sellers fault. You should keep your end of the bargain.

A remote third possibility.
    3) The PB had no dent when the pictures were taken, but the seller damaged the machine prior to sending it. (or the seller intentionally hid the dent in the photos) The seller should make some accommodation to you.

12. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well here is the picture I got on it. I know it's not the best one but still should have told me the was a dent. To get back to the rest of the story I did post in the market place and said that this needs to be in execlent shape and he did respond to it

Attached Files:

13. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is one of his quotes

Now the way I read it is this should be brand new Right or he should have said that there was something wrong....