Need a TV/LCD for College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poppe, Jul 25, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello.

I really don't know much about LCD monitors and LCD TV's and what the difference is besides the ratio, but I'm wondering if you all could help.

I will be recieving a MBP soon, and would like to have the 17" screen and another montitor working together. To save space, but to be able to play my games/watch movies I'd like a TV to. So my question is this: Is there any LCD monitors/LCD TV's that could do both act as a monitor to use for dual monitoring and to use seperatly as a TV that is under or around 500 (under better).

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Or even LCD computer monitors that I could hook my Gamecube/Xbox to and maybe satelite. Anyone know of anything out there?

3. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

OH that'd be awesome except its 1699... I'm trying to stay at around 500 if not less...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've got the 40" black version of that LCD HDTV hooked up to my iMac and it isn't in the OP's $400 price range. ;)

A Dell 2007FPW seems like a pretty good compromise. They are ~$400 and with DVI/VGA, composite and S-video inputs it should perform very nicely and have much higher resolution when used with a computer than any LCD sold primarliy as a TV.

B

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ooo awesome. I'll check it out. Will the images look ok? I''ve read a few people hooking up comps/satelites/games to LCD's and one or the other not working well (like not fitting on the screen).

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You'll always have a problem when the source and screen resolution don't match, but the flipside is that when you get an LCD that's optimized for TV you end up with a resolution won't be very useful for use with a computer. (Resolutions of ~640x480 to 800x600 and similar are common in smaller <20" screens).

This effect is less noticeable when the resolutions are close, or at least close to a multiple. The Dell 2007 is 1680x1050 pixels so it's a pretty good fit to 720x480 video from a DVD with a 2x2 pixel, and most satellite programming is 480x480 native, so again not a bad fit at 2x2.

Two downsides: 1680x1050 isn't full 1080p HDTV compatible, but then again neither is my 1360x768 HDTV. No speakers, you'd have to add your own.

B

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ah.. wise one of the LCD's...

Well HDTV isn't in demand, and I don't mind if watching the TV if the show is a square, but the LCD screen itself is a box. I just dont want to be trying to play smash bros and can't see parts, or emailing/whatever and can't see my finder or something...

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Scratch everything I said.

See if you can find/afford the $500 Samsung LN-S1952W it's the new 19" version of the TV I have and since it sports a 1440x900 screen it'll be fine. I have no issues watching satellite TV on my 40" with lower resolution from the composite inputs.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS1952WXXAA.asp

B

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

How will OS X look on it? Thats about the same res as the MB no?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's the same resolution as my 17" iMac, and higher resolution tham my 40", on which OS X looks fine too.

B

12. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

OS X looks fine on any monitor, I doubt there'll be cropping as the display automatically adjusts. It looks fine on my Dell 2005FPW at 1680x1050.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I find it a bit cramped on my iBook at 1024x768 which is in part why I was trying to steep poppe away from lower resolution screens. (The extra width on the HDTV almost makes up for it.)

B

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Save your money, don't be spending it on fancy LCDs. You'll be finding that even Milwaukee's Best gets expensive in the quantities you'll be drinking it ;)

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

haha yeah... specially since I'm more of a hard drinker... I was thinking about saving my money... but then how will I play drunk Smash bros? How I ask you?...