Need a wireless router.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Dec 20, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My Microsoft wireless router decided to crap out on me tonight. I think I've narrowed it down to a Linksys WRT54G or a Netgear WGR614. Both have good reviews on Circuit City's website. I've never had Netgear stuff, I had a wired Linksys router a long time ago and it was great, so I'm leaning towards the Linksys, but am open to recommendations for anything besides the two, or which one of the two you suggest. My only requirements are 802.11g, decentley priced ($70 or so), MAC address filtering, and it has to be fully Mac compatible, meaning, it can't require a Windows PC to install some stupid software to set up the router, as this is a Mac only household. Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The Linksys WRT54G was recently updated, and not for the better. The new WRT54GL is old WRT54G. Get the WRT54GL. You'll be very happy.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I checked Best Buy, Circuit City, and Comp USA. Neither of them carry the WRT54GL. Is it a new product, and whats so bad about the older version?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The WRT54G (as of series 5) has 2MB of flash and 8MB of RAM. It runs VxWorks.

The WRT45GL has 4MB of flash and 16MB of RAM. It runs Linux and has some more features. The biggest advantage is that you can install 3rd party firmware and totally max out your router in every aspect. Even if you don't want to do this, it is nice to have it available for the future.

I can't recommend you purchasing a WRT54G unless it is a series 3 or 4.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

May be a little more expensive, but just buy a Mac Router. I bought one from Belkin, the instructions were like a Chapter book! :eek: I took that back and bought me an Apple, I plugged it in and like 5 minutes later it was working. :)

Especially since you are a Mac only house; it just makes sense.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Im not buying an Apple one. I still need the wired ethernet ports too.

Instructions are no big deal to me. Chances are, the only thing I'll even need the manual for is to find out what IP address I need to go to to get to the config page

7. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Get a MIMO router for extra speed and range, says the networking "expert" from Best Buy. Hehe.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I heard that was a big joke, and that companies were getting sued for false advertising on the range.

Besides, extra speed doesn't really matter considering current routers already go faster than Internet (and it will only work as good as the Airport cards already installed in his Macs).

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Plus, I don't think any of those extra range or speed routers are 802.11b/g, so they won't work with our Macs.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They'd probably work, but the extra features would be a waste of money.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It probably wouldn't work. I believe you need a compatible card to get those speeds. Sort of like how to need a G router and a G card to get G speeds.

12. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Ended up going with the Netgear. It was only $30 at Circuit City, so I couldn't pass that deal up. The Linksys was $40, but that was after rebates. So far, so good.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

But with a G router and a B card, you can still achieve B speeds.
    I was thinking with a MIMO router and a G card you could still get G speeds, but the extra money for the MIMO router would be a waste.

But I'm not sure. :confused:

14. feyd_ehway macrumors regular

feyd_ehway

..::for the quota::..

okay, first, ill be honest... i know very little about networking. so pls let that weigh heavily in your consideration in regards to my opinion

i bought the the only router radio shack carried that was compatatble with my ibook ~ Linksys WRT54G. my internet test speeds have been pretty damn good with it.
    the explainer:
    im a rather impulsive person ~ radio shack was the only place still open that night i had to have it!?! *laughs*
    :rolleyes:

15. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Any 802.11b or g router will work with your iBook. Linksys must be the only one who puts OSX on the box under system requirements

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Oh, yeah, I agree. Sorry, that is what I meant. But I consider getting slower than max speeds not working. If I wanted slower speeds I would get a slower router.

17. slinky0390 macrumors regular

get the belkin pre n mimo router.. its going to cost you a little more but you wont be dissipointed.. i have a lead house and i still get full reception everywhere.. and thats whith my airport extreme card not with one of their cards.. i also can still pick up my router down my block.. it works great with my pb and i just plugged it in and it worked.. no need for that "stop.. install this disk first" sticker

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Um...You'd be better off buying the Belkin G router and saving a lot of cash. Just like G and B, G and pre N work at the lower technology. So by paying a lot for a pre n router and using a G card, the router runs as a G. Plus, as of now, Pre N routers are very different depending on the manufacture. There is much discussions on which technology will be the standard. Much like the betamax/VHS thing. There is no guarantee a pre-n router will work with the n-standard when it is declared. Purchase at your own risk.

19. sofla100 macrumors newbie

Belkin Pre N Worth It

No, I think the Belkin pre N is worth it, its about $89 now. I actually switched from the regular Belkin to the Pre N. The reason is the Pre N gives you a lot of extra range. This is especially noticeable with my newer Powerbook and its airport extreme card. I agree you are not going to get any faster speeds or bandwidths. But you definetly get increased range. I am now able to use the Powerbook down the street if I want. A little more concerned with security because of that, but with WPA2 enabled, I don't think it is worth too much concern.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

While 802.11N is targeted for an 800% increase in coverage, right now the Pre-N routers only give a 20% increase in range with working with 802.11G cards. A Linksys WRT54GL with 3rd Party Firmware can give up to a 40% increase in range. I'd stick with the Linksys if range is your only reason for getting a Pre-N.

21. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I recently purchased the Netgear WGU624 and am very happy with it all around. Great range, nice security features and easy to use.

I'm averse to Linksys after having a variety of their routers had problems with me and a place I used to work for. I would recommend Netgear over the Linksys.