need ac adapter for g4 powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reneauds, Aug 22, 2005.

1. reneauds macrumors newbie

hey, i'm new to this forum. my ac adapter for g4 powerbook 17" is broken. anybody recommend a new one? should i get an apple replacement or aftermarket 3rd party? i see 45 and 65 watt models out. help???? i'm new to mac. i love it, no viruses, popups like my pc. i bought a used model as a trial, so no warranty on cord.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

would you consider selling the plug? i have a power adapter with a broken plug and i could solder one on easyly.

3. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

the plug is whats messed up. the little gold plug broke off. the rest of the cord is fine.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I had the very same problem with the iBook I just bought. I ordered a MacAlly power adapter from buy.com for $30.99 shipped. Much better than the $80 that Apple wants for their supply. I could have probably just ordered a cable from somewhere and spliced it, but this was easier and almost as cheap.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you do go Apple, I am fairly certain you need the 65W one. The smaller PS is really only good for the 12" notebooks.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Good point, mkrishnan. I don't know what the specs are on the MacAlly adapter.

7. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I have the small one (I think it's 45watts) for my 12" PB and had to replace it for the same reason. After spending the $$ on the Apple one, I wished I hadn't because there was some other 3rd party one for half the price at my campus store a month later :-( Whatever. It works great so I can't complain.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the Apple bricks are really pretty and they have the neat cable stays. Those are their only redeeming qualities. :) I bought my second one used here on MR...I couldn't see paying full price for one.

9. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Do NOT use a different power adapter other than Apple

I wanted a 2nd power adapter in my backpack cause my powerbook is fairly on my desk same as on the road. I would feel better having a power adapter on my desk and one in my bag. The Apple Power Adapter is awesome, but fairly expensive ($80), so I thought I could look for some alternatives.

The MacAlly one WILL NOT be sufficient for your Powerbook 17". The current MacAlly one says it can power iBooks and Powerbook G4's, but they are speaking of the old Titanium powerbooks. The MacAlly adapter only spits out around 45-48 watts of power, where as in the new powerbooks you need the full 65W the Apple adapter provides. I plugged in the MacAlly power adapter and the icon changes to indicate it is plugged in, but if you start using power hungry applications like DVD player or gaming, you will notice the percentage drop as if it were not plugged in. The only way for it to even charge is for the entire notebook to be off.

A worthy, but expensive, alternative is the iGo that is sold Radio Shack because the unit will produce about 70-75W. The only advantage of this is that it is expandable to not only charge your powerbook, but also your cell phones, other laptops, and gadgets. If another company offers a power adapter for your Powerbook, please make sure its around the 65W zone because your Powerbook needs all that juice.

My advice to you is, if its an option for you, check your local Apple Stores this weekend for it is the last weekend, and they have the "Fire Sale." I was really lucky to find power adapters for my 17" Powerbook (2 of them actually), refreshed for $29.99 each.. marked down from $79. Now I have one on my desk, one in my bag, and one in my drawer if I want to move around the house.

Apple refreshed/refurbished products are just genuinely awesome.

Hope this information helps you out and happy findings.

10. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

11. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

:) :D :eek: :rolleyes: YES!!!!! i called the pasadena store and asked and they had a refurb. adapter!!! for 29.95. thanks for the heads up!! after years of windows, i took the plunge and bought this powerbook this summer to try the mac out. its great, i love it. i'm waiting for new powerbooks to come out and get the new one, kick down mine to my daughter in college. eventually phase out our windows computers and switch to g5 powermacs or imacs.

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I have an extra one if your interested. The end that plugs into the computer is broken but the rest seems to be fine. It is for a 12" PB

I wish when I bought the replacement I looked for refurbed. $70.00 for a plug pissed me off a little:mad:

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the bit that plugs into the laptop is the exact thing i need, i have a cheap 2rd party adapter which i bought from OWC and it only works when allot of pressure is put on the plug so i wanted to put a new plug on it.