Need advice about lost domain name owner.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Metatron, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

So, I found a domain name I want to buy. The problem is that the administrative contact goes to a company that no longer exisit. The Technical contact goes to a company that was merged and after spending quite some time on the phone, they have the same administrative contact I have. Which is just the company name. No persons listed. This company purchased the name through 2010. It has been blank for two years. How can I get this domain name transfered, or how can I purchase it? The Technical contact was no help at all but to tell me that network solutions was the actual register. I thought that mabey the cybersquatting act could help me, but seems that I don't really qualify for that one.

Any info would be great! Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, the original purchaser bought 5 or 10 years rights to the domain name, and barring trademark infringement, they have the right to let it sit there and rot, if they want. You have no leverage in this situation -- the fact they are unreachable is immaterial.

3. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

4. RideIt macrumors member

RideIt

that sucks that it has to sit there not being used!! :rolleyes:

Too bad you can't buy it from them.

5. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

Which I would gladly do if I knew who "them" was.

6. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

Got some new info. Found out that the origional comany merged with another. That company still owns the domain name and I have requested it from them. What if they decided not to sell or they want a large chunk of money. Can I then call it cybersquatting?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not unless you've got some provable claim to the name. If they own it, they own it, and unless their ownership is invalidated, they can pretty much ask for whatever amount they want, as well as outright refuse to sell it.

8. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

Well the company name i represent and the domain name are the same. The other company absorbed the small and the domain was abandoned. Other then that I have no claim. But in my view niether does the other company. Of course this assumes that when they return my call they refuse to sell or want to charge me some crazy amount of money.

If they had to pass imminent domain, it should have included virtual spaces as well. :p