Need advice: Apple Studio Display Replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dsharits, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I sent in my Graphite 17" CRT Studio Display for their free repair program, and they told me that the problem it was having was with the tube itself. The only problem is that they no longer can get the tubes, so they offer a replacement Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 74SB, or the cost of the Mitsu ($189) in credit for the Apple Store. Has anyone used this monitor before? I can't find any reviews on it. Is it a good replacement for a Studio Display? Thanks in advance.

Daniel

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

does anyone know who made the orignal tube for the graphite? was it NEC which who made the tube that monitor that is stated above.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It should be the current version of the picture tube, the old studio displays were the Flat Mitsubishi Diamondtron picture tubes.

The only problem I see, is the electronics don't support the 1600x1200 resolution of the clear SD -- but I don't remember off hand where the grey one maxed out.

It's a front panel display, so you should have every control you had (might want to check) that you had with the Apple monitor -- except the ColorSync profile.