Need advice - Canon Elura 70/MVX250i vs Panasonic GS-120

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aswitcher, Jun 26, 2004.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am looking for any advice from owners of either of these Digital Video cameras and their use with iMovie and Final Cut Express 2.0.

My understanding is both work fine but I wouldn't mind a mac user confirming this.

Also, I am torn between the two models. The Canon looks pretty good but the 3CCDs in the Panasonic are tempting. I think the Canon would be the best for OSX App intergration, cheaper accessories etc but the Panasonic looks pretty good even if its not a DV market leader like Canon and Sony...

Advice?

2. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

3. gwangung macrumors 65816

Well, actually, I think Panasonic >IS< a market leader...its DVX100/100A is a leader in the prosumer market.

Have not heard any bad things about the GS120, but I imagine you aren't going to go wrong with either one.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Both look good.

Both look like great cameras. You might already know this but cannons have been known to pick up lots of motor noise (not sure about this exact model), but, cannons tend to have great CCD's and optics. If I were you I would go to a store to try both out. Or possibly buy one of them at a store with a no questions asked return policy. But, I can't stress enough to try them out first because you might end up with something you hate. But they both look good :D

5. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah I am happy with the asthetics for this price range. :D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got the Canon Elura 50, which worked fine with OS X and iMove, i dont have Final Cut so i dont know about integration with that, it worked flawlessly with iPhoto as well for the snapshots we tried

7. gwangung macrumors 65816

If it works with iMovie, it'll generally work with FCP.

Personally, I'd go 3-chip if I had a choice; better resolution and color in general. Panasonic has been making a real dent in the market with its low end 3 chippers....

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have a canon ZR40 and it works fine for Imovie. I know my school we had an old Elura and a newer version... for some reason the newer one would sometimes work with imovie, (it sometimes wouldn't regonized it) But then again it was the school camera it could have been tossed around, or the computer(s) are on something... etc
    My canon ZR40 worked fine. Also canon makes lens for photography, so they have a clue about lenses...I'm not sure if the panasonic makes there own lens or not. a thought to think about....

9. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Heh.. Funny I asked similiar question about week ago. I went witht he panasonic, I own that model and love it. The lcd is crisper, and the 3ccd's does an amazing job with color, especially outdoors. My only gripe is the image stabilizer, not that great but worth th sacrafice for the image quality and ease of use, hooks right up and works with iMovie without any drivers and all in all, I think its best for the cash.

I had a Canon ZR65 a while back, then went to a Sony TRV22, but in the end, I think this is the best choice I've made.

Hope it helps, if you have any Q's lemme know.

10. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Excellent, someone with the Panasonic.

I hear both cameras stablisation is pretty average so thats no biggy.

Awesome that it works with no drivers. Few. Guess I will await the quotes and see how close the prices are with accessories.

By the way did you get or recommend any accessories?