need advice desktop failure!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whyrichard, Feb 10, 2007.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey guys,

this may not be the right place at all to post for help, but i'm a little miffed...

oh my desktop pc, i tried to replace the videocard fan. after this and that hacking inside the computer, i plug it in, and at first it begins to run, but nothing happens... i unplug it, try again, and nothing happens at all.

did i somehow damage the motherboard or some other part working on it? could it be the power supply? how to i begin diagnosing it?

thanks,
    r.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You could start off by telling us what computer this is???

Tell us everything like that. The more you tell us, the easier it will be for anyone to help you.

Just for starters tho, I would reseat EVERYTHING! RAM, Video Card, etc. Maybe something just isn't seated properly.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

it is a windows pc, made by xi computer....

(i know this is an apple forum, but windows forums are aweful and unresponsive!)

i just tried swapping out the power supply, same response.

any suggestions? thinking now of dropping it off at a computer repair place...?

thanks,
    r.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

if i am to replace the motherboard, with the exact same model of motherboard, do i need to do anything on the software side of things?

thanks,
    r.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you put the exact same motherboard in then you won't need to reinstall anything. The only difference may be if you put a PCI card in a different slot. It will then re-detect the card and install a driver.