Need advice - ibook 14" or 12"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iApollo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. iApollo macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi everyone. I am finally going to upgrade from my old red iMac and I know I want to go with an ibook, but I am confused by the screen differences. I heard that the resolution is the same on both models, and if thats the case does that mean that there isn't really any more room on the 14"? If so it seems pointless. It's a frustrating choice because I want a super drive, but I don't want to carry around something large if I am not gaining any more actual space on the screen.
    I'm a student at a fashion design school and will be using this for homework, photos and a few design programs, but nothing really intense.
    If anyone has any advice or opinions on the differences between the two models I would appreciate it.
  2. illegal amigo macrumors member

Jul 25, 2005
  3. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yes the resolution on both is the same. So unless you have bad eyesight go with the 12". You can buy an extra DVD burner which is better than a superdrive.
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Go with the 12" iBook and enjoy the extra portability that it will give you.

If you really need more screen real-estate then go and buy an external LCD to hook your iBook up to.
  5. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    I couldn't agree more!
  6. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I got the 12" for the portability. I plan on getting an external dvd burner that will sit on my desk, it's not a feature that I needed to be portable anyways. That being said, I really enjoy my new iBook, it's a fantastic machine.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Another vote for the 12 inch. Unless you really need an internal Superdrive...
  8. polythene pam macrumors member

Jun 23, 2005
    I initially was going to buy the 14" but changed my mind and got the 12". And I am SO happy with my decision!!!! I'll buy an external DVD burner -- which will be twice as fast as the superdrive-- and that suits me fine because I don't need to save my stuff onto dvds all the time. A cd burner is perfect for day to day things. That said, if you think you will be using the superdrive all the time, go for the 14".

I find the 12" very cute and sooo portable and the screen size is wonderful. Plus, you can always hook it up to an external monitor if you want to.

I suggest going to the apple store and playing around with both sizes and then making your decision.

Good luck!
  9. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I was going to get the 12" but after visiting the Apple store that the screen might be too small for long term use so I ponied up and got the 14" / 1GB / Combo / 60GB. I don't need a superdrive and the 14" is also 90MHz faster. Plus I like the bigger screen better.
  10. gregorydanger macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    I suggest going to the apple store and playing around with both sizes and then making your decision.[/QUOTE]

Best advice you can really get.

I had a 14" Rev. B iBook G4 and now I have a 12" Rev. D iBook G4 -- There are pros and cons in regards to both.. it's really something you have to decide on your own.
  11. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The best set-up is the 12" PB with a larger 17-24"WS external display.

This gives you the best of both worlds.
  12. iApollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice, I went to the Apple store this weekend and decided to order a 12". I wish I could have gotten it right there and then but I guess you have to order it if you want a larger hard drive.
    Anyways, can't wait!
  13. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Ask yourself how many times you will need to burn a dvd while being away from your desk. If you dont NEED that feature, then get the 12" .

Either way, you'll love the new iBOok. I just purchased one. It's awesome. Just imported my first movie from my dv cam on the weekend. Worked flawlessly. Didnt have to configure anything.....just plugged things in and hit import. Awesome.....

I'll be buying an external dvd burner when I'm ready to burn. Really like the size of the 12".
  14. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    My vote would be the 14". Even though it is the same resolution, it seems sensible that if you're going to be working at it for periods of time, it's better to stare at a larger screen. And, portability wise, it's not that much different to the 12", I don't find it difficult to take mine places.

15. ph0rk macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2003

don't forget the laptop superdrives still aren't all that super (no DVD DL), so you'd need an external burner anyway for 9GB discs.