Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
i have an iMac 24" (alluminium).

website said, this iMac support up to 1 TB harddisk. has anyone upgrade the iMac to 1 TB? i plan to... but afraid that after buying the HDD (which is expensive), the iMac wont recognize it.

what should i buy? Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital one?
also, must be SATA-II right?

thanks!

erwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I'd be more concerned about opening the iMac first. SATA drives are a standard.

i will give the job to open the iMac to an authorized apple reseller store in my local area. they charge about 20 dollars to do that. lol

the problem is, making sure i buy the right HDD that can be use with the iMac. does brand matter? WD, Seagate, or Maxtor? SATA-II 7200 rpm right?

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Yes, a SATA II 7200rpm HDD will be best.

I upgraded my AL iMac with a Samsung SpinPoint 750GB. I'm a huge Samsung advocate since I bought a 500GB SpinPoint for my old iMac, and I'd recommend their HDDs. They're quiet, cool, and priced very well.

DealMac just posted a special on my 750GB model, and I'm sure you can find a good price for the 1TB by hunting around. eWiz (never shopped there, but it has good Froogle ratings) has the 1TB HDD for $200, and NewEgg has it for $232.

Oh, and I believe that Maxtor was bought by Seagate and now constitutes their economy line of HDDs. So they're not really two separate brands per se.

alam

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Saudi Arabia
why dont u wait 4 da new imac to come first?
u might get what u want in a cheaper price :p
have patient, the new imac is gonna arive with in just few weeks ;)

erwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
@eji
thanks for the info, really helpful. but is iMac 24" really support 1TB hdd?

@alam
new iMac? even if it is pop up soon, i dont think i would buy it. :D
i just got this iMac for 3 months now and not planning to get a new version one. :)

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
@eji
but is iMac 24" really support 1TB hdd?

Yes, it supports a 1TB HDD. I had the option to buy a 1TB HDD pre-installed in the iMac 24" but passed in favor of the retailer installing the 750GB HDD I'd already purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.