Need Advice! (iMac vs. Power Mac)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Oct 6, 2005.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Hi, I have an iBook, and I HAD a desktop PC in my room. Well, last night, the hard drive crashed on my 2 year old PC. Now my Dad wants to buy me a new desktop. I said to get an iMac G5. But he doesn't want me to get that. He says it'll break too easily and he wants me to 2.3 GHZ Powermac G5 and the 23 inch cinema. I can't seem to convince him that I don't need all that performance. I don't even now if I have enough room in my bedroom to store that giant thing! He keeps insisiting that I go out and buy it with him this Saturday. I mean come on, I'm only 14 and the only thing I used my desktop for was web browsing, homework, iChat, and occasionaly some little photo editing. Nothing more. And if I got the iMac it would only be $1200 I think. That's a lot less compared to $4000.

So, my question is, how can I convince him that I don't need a $4,000 Mac and I could just use a $1,200 one. Please answer, I need to do this by Saturday. Thanks!

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if he's paying for it, what's really the problem?
    alternatively, what about a new hard drive for your pc instead of a whole new mac, although that's the polar opposite of what i just said...

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

How about a Mac mini paired w/ a Dell display? Cheaper than the PM, and a little less powerful than the iMac but from what most people say, not too much less powerful and more than able to handle the simple tasks you have mentioned.

On the other hand, if your father is anything like the parents I've interacted w/-- he probably just wants 'the best' for you and if he really insists on it and the price isn't an issue, then just roll w/ it. You can't really complain, right?! It would be an amazing set up.

4. Err macrumors member

annnddd everyone inculding me is foaming at the mouth with jealousy! if only we had your problems!!! :eek:

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Is this a joke, cause if it is, it's not very funny, not funny at all....

Haha, anyways, Why not just let your dad buy you the "dream" computer, we would all die for? Unless there's some other better reason besides "I don't need all that power" I don't see the problem. Or maybe you can convince him to get you the iMac and get an iPod! And some more Ram, and some cool accesories! OK I'll stop dreamin' about stuff I can't have now.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

worst excuse for sarcasm ever, or just someone that is damn weird

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Tell him to donate this PM to the Ian fund.

*points at himself*

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ian fund? Bla!

Kt's Ph.D./going to vienna with my symphony Fund is where it's at!! All the cool kids are donating!
    You know you want to!

If he wants to spend the money, this is what you do:
    He gets you the PM
    you make a scale model out of paper of the PM
    sell the PM
    get a Mac mini
    place it in the paper model
    use the $$ from the PM to buy STOCK!
    ???
    PROFIT!!!

well, the profit is after you sell the PM and get Mac mini, but I guess it's all good.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

irain, if you are serious about this, I applaud you for not wasting your family's money and not being greedy. Saying no thanks to a computer that's more powerful than you need shows more maturity than most 14-year-olds I know. Tell your dad that iMacs don't just "break" and they are good quality machines.

The excess money it would take to buy the Power Mac would be better spent on extra RAM, software, put in the bank to save up for those awful insurance premiums when you start driving, or used for your family's other interests.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Tough choice, for sure. Nice problem to have, though. If you dad is really that dead-set against the iMac, you may also want to consider a Powerbook (after next week's new release, of course ;)) with a 23" ACD. Similar to the Mac mini argument, but it gives you some portability.

The one nice thing about the PowerMac, however, is that it likely will have more longevity than any of the G4 devices available.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Or there is the wait 1 year for the macintels.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If your dad is worried about reliability and maintenance, a PowerBook has a disadvantage because portable computers get bumped and jostled more. But if money is available for AppleCare, that provides some protection and peace of mind to counter that.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Perhaps, but my 3-year old TiBook has performed exceptionally well, and it's been carried around the world with me. The Powerbooks are designed to handle the stress of being jostled, so if the primary purpose is sitting on a desk attached to a nice 23", the maintenance issues should actually be less, as long as you're reasonably careful when you do carry it around.

Edit: Added plus - extra display.