Need advice on a Breadmaker

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by desenso, Dec 23, 2005.

1. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning on buying a breadmaker. I've researched all of the various models fairly seriously and I think that I'm going to order the Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker because it (allegedly): 1)Runs silently, 2) Produces good bread, 3) Has a good range of options, 4) Has a delayed timer and the yeast compartment. My next choice would be the Breadman TR2200C Ultimate Bread Machine, although I have read that its parts break regularly, that it doesn't produce bread of as high a quality, and that it doesn't have the seperate yeast compartment. I understand that Zojirushi machines are considered the best, but don't want to spend that kind of money.

So my basic question is: does anyone here have experience with bread makers, particularly the Panasonic or the Breadman Ultimate? Any tips on other accessories or cookbooks? Am I missing any other good machines that I should consider first?
  2. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    All I can say is that when you get one, make sure you keep it far away from the edge of the counter.

Bread Machine + Close to counter = Half-made bread all over the floor.

(And this is coming from experience.):D :D
  3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    I bought my mum a Panasonic SD253 (don't know where that fits into the Panasonic scale) and she loves it.
    The bread is excellent quality, although they tend to use the dough only setting and bake it in the oven - it's just my mum & dad and a loaf made in it is too much for them, although if me & my sister come to stay we get fresh bread every morning. The timer is a godsend - dump all the ingredients in before bed and it'll start cooking about 3am.
    Can't recommend it enough.
    We also got her this book which has a lot of good recipes in it.
  4. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    Haha.. that's the kind of good advice i need.

Nickygoat: thanks for the link
  5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    If possible, I would get a standing mixer.

Put in the dough hook, it'll basically do it for you. Then, just turn the dough into a pan, let it rise, bake, and MMmmm.. ~20 minutes later = YUM

I'm not sure how bread machine recipes translate, but the Joy of Cooking has a really, REALLY good challah recipe in it. YUM.
  6. bgd macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2005
    After 5 years of heavy use my Panasonic (not sure which model) has finally died. However it was a great machine and I will be replacing it with another Panasonic. So a strong recommendation for the brand.
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I've had a couple of bread machines, and in my opinion they're all pretty much the same. They all work on identical principals, make good bread and don't last forever (which to me argues for spending the minimum). I haven't owned one with an automatic yeast dispenser but honestly that sounds to me like a not very useful gadget.
  8. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004

we had a breadmaker for a while - not sure what model...etc

honestly- we used it like 4 times over 2 years
    then ended up gettin rid of it

it is easier, cheaper, ...etc
    to go buy a loaf

plus the variety is better

i still get my ass in gear & 'bake bread' the old fashion way every once & a while & find it also easier
    & more fun!

just our 2 cents
    make sure you save the receipt & find out how long & how much use can u use it- before u are able to return...etc
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Also, far away from the balcony. And don't rest your powerbook on top of it, even for a moment. :D
  10. oreomac macrumors member

Jan 4, 2005
    Another vote for panasonic, which I've for about 4 years now, always makes really good bread (much nicer than what you get at the store).

I know of people that get other makes & they had to keep returning to the store as they either didn't make the bread right or broke & they got a panasonic & have had no problems since.
  11. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    You've addressed one of my biggest concerns - that I'll use it a few times, and put it away forever. I hope that's not the case, and I think that if the dough feature works well enough it'll keep me using it.

I think I'll give it a shot anyways :D