Need advice on a bunch of accessories!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dragonball05, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dragonball05 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm getting a powerbook and 23" display.

Any suggestions for good speakers?

Further, I'd like to get a wireless mouse with a wheel and a PC-type keyboard (not wireless though). Any suggestions/comments?? (I hear the logitech stuff is pretty good...)

Also, I'm wondering if there are any docking stations for powerbooks??!! And are there any that work simultaneously for PCs too????

And, I'm looking for a wireless headphone/mic to be able to skype (for example) using my powerbook, without having to be chained to it!!!

Lastly, does the powerbook have enough ports to be hooked to the display, keyboard, mouse, and printer at the same time?!! If not, then is there a solution for that???

Thanks.

2. tom_s macrumors member

Hi.

There are dockingstations for powerbooks from Bookendz but they are quite expensive (180 $ ... 265 $). Also I don't really understand what you mean with "work simultaneously for PCs too". A PC laptop and a PB in the same dock?

Keyboard, mouse and printer all need an usb port (that makes three :) ), but Powerbooks only have two ports. There are a few solutions to this problem:

1. If your display has an usb hub built-in (like the new Apple displays have it), you can connect your keyboard and mouse to the display and display & printer to your PBook.
    2. If you buy a keyboard from Apple, there are two additional usb ports on it (but I don't know of any PC keyboards with a built-in hub).
    3. Buy a usb hub. It means more cables on your desk, but they are cheap (10 $?) and you usually gain four or more usb ports.
    4. If you have some sort of high-end office printer, you probably can connect it via Ethernet to your Mac (but that's very unlikely)

FG

3. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

No not at the same time. I want it to work for both, that's all.

4. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I use the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II. I was trying to decide between these and the JBL Creature II's, and chose the sound sticks momstly because i thought the Creature's looked too small for my setup. The sound sticks do a very good job with bass as well :).

I use the Logitech MX1000. When combined with the Mac OS X software, you can assign dashboard / expose to any of the many buttons of the mx1000 (i click the scroll wheel for dashboard and click the quick application button for expose). For non-wireless keyboards, i'd suggest the apple-brand keyboard or that slim kensington one.

I'd recommend a USB hub. Belkin makes good ones that also look good with iPod shuffles (if you're interested in those.)

Hope I helped!

5. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info! Which of the slim ones would you suggest? I don't want to get an apple keyboard because my wife is used to a PC keyboard (and her laptop is a PC). This one
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...47/103-0472181-6886215?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846
    seems to be nice, since it has keys for both Mac and PC.
    But it has no reviews!!!

6. esco macrumors 6502

esco

that seems to be one of the newer kensington keyboards, don't really know all that much about it. one of the members at neowin.net has this slimtype keyboard and he seems to like it.

The one you found is the "ultra" version of the one i showed you, so it must have some better features. That may be a little naive, but it's probably true.

Good Luck!

7. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll get the logitech mouse:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...70053-1917671?v=glance&s=electronics&n=541966
    and the apple keyboard. i like the shape/size of the mouse, and that the receiver is just a flash card. i'll just stick it in my keyboard, and no more wires! also, i like that it doesn't have a charger (less wires). i'll just swap the rechargeable batteries when needed.
    i also like the apple keyboard because it has 2 extra USBs. and otherwise has the same layout as a PC keyboard and just looks cool (just like anything else apple comes up with!)

it turns out there are no universal docking stations, but with the extra USBs (2 on the display and 2 on the keyboard), i don't need a docking station. i just need to connect
    my display, and i'm in business!!!

as a wireless headphone, i'm getting this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...13/002-0270053-1917671?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846
    but i have to check first if the bluetooth will work with the laptop...

8. jj1985 macrumors member

I have had 2 sets of the JBL creature speakers and they both buggered up within a couple of months, had them checked out by electrician, componant failure.

9. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

10. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting the Labtec ones for my office and the Harman Kardon for home.

11. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

i called platronics and they said it should work with the PB 15", so i'll hold them
    responsible if it doesn't (i got the name of the person who told me this info..).

i also decided to get the Dell 24" display since, imo, it has more to offer (the
    5 inputs, the 4 USBs, the adjustable and rotating pannel, etc) and doesn't
    seem to have the potential problems the 23" apple display can have (the pinkish
    greys...) and costs less (which was the last factor to consider, to be honest)
    true the apple display is cooler.. or at least so it seems.. but i've seen the Dell
    in a store, and i actually liked it. call me crazy, but that's what i'm getting.

12. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I use my iSight as a mic, because why would you $$$ on speakers if you're just going to listen to crappy wireless headset headphones.

Plus its nice not having anything on your head.

13. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

i agree.. and usually will be doing it this way. but sometimes i leave the room and am doing stuff at the same time, and so i'd like to have the headset then.

14. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, just to update you guys on how things went:

1. Got my 15" PB maxed out in every way. It's just great.

2. Got the Dell 24" display. It is wonderful.

3. Got the Labtec ("flat") speakers for my office and the Harman Kardon speakers for home. The former are nice. The latter are cool. Both work well.

4. Got the wireless Logitech wheel mouse and it works fine with both
    the PC and the Mac.

5. Got apples white keyboard, and it is very nice. No problems with sticky keys or anything.

6. No need for a docking station, since my keyboard and printer are hooked up to my Dell screen, and my mouse to my keyboard (so that I can pull the pendrive-like receiver quickly, if I want to use the mouse separately). And I still have 2 more usb ports on the display, one more on the keyboard, and the usual 2 on the pb itself! so when i need to hook up my pb, i hook up the display (DVI and USB parts) and the speakers and it takes 5 seconds.

7. Got the platronics wireless earpiece, and it works just fine (very good quality and very comfy).

Cheers,
    DB

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Will this new PB have optical out? If so, I recommend the Logitech Z5500Ds. They are a lovely 5.1 system, and really sound great. I'd also recommend the higher end Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1.

I'd get an Apple Keyboard, and a Logitech MX1000 mouse. I'm very happy with mine.

Yes, the monitor itself will act as a hub so you'll be fine. No worries there.

Edit:: Opps, I'm a little late.

16. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

17. slinky0390 macrumors regular

couldnt you just use apples bluetooth mouse and keyboard and free up a usb port